Huge tmpoutboundsharing folder inside Photos library

Hi!

I had Photos library wich size about 100 GB. After installing macOS 10.15 (19A512f), Photos library become over 300GB. Inside library I found folder originals 104 GB (it is normsl size for library) and folder /private/com.apple.photolibraryd/tmpoutboundsharing with over 5900 video files summary 215 GB size. All video filenames looks like

render.FF41337B–0891–48AA–8B96–6417270F3FCB.MOV

render.FF469178–523A–477B–826D–3403156B0E88.MOV

I watched 4 bigest files and there was the same video, with codec H264. When I make that video (about 8 years ago) my camera does not konw about H264 codec. And there was a lot dublicates with small different size.

Replies

This is very interesting. Since updating to Catalina 10.15, I have been having troubles getting a Time Machine backup.

The backup takes 5-6 days.

The backupd process seems to be "looping" in:

Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.photolibraryd/tmpoutboundsharing/

Any thoughts?

I too have seen this. My version couldn't be deleted, or even listed. I suspect this dir is causing the ridiculous install times for beta4+. My only solution was to move this dir out of my homedir, backup & format the drive.

Unfortunately, I can confirm the same. Have approx 52'000 photos and 900 videos, photos library size approx 800 GB. After Catalina Beta update, I let the system run continuously for more than one week. Did not finish spotlight indexing. System always running at 100% cpu (fileproviderd) and with fan on. Could not finish a TimeMachine backup since then. Now the system is completely stuck after the beta5 upgrade. Can not boot anymore. Trying to list or delete tmpoutboundsharing dir fails even as root in restricted mode (size of the dir is 4 GB).

Finally I found the issue I've been having since July 10th! I have the sam issue with huuuuge tmpoutboundsharing directory. I cannot even list it!

UPDATE:

I tried to list and I have 1259328 empty .MOV files. In fact the size of the directory i 0 but it takes ages to do anything with it.

I was able to get 2 or 3 backups complete since upgrading to Catalina. However, I haven’t been able to do a Time Machine backup since July 19. I’ve tried running Time Machine for several days, even longer than a week, maybe two, and it has never managed to finish. Time Machine seems stuck in “Preparing Backup”. I’ve tried turning off Time Machine and deleting the “.inProgress” backup directory, without success. Even after restarting in recovery mode I was having a hard time deleting the contents of that directory. Using “chmod -N” seems to work well to delete some subdirectories. So I started doing that. However, all commands seemed to get stuck on tmpoutboundsharing, making me think the disk (external USB3)m drive) was corrupted. When I finally managed to list the contents of tmpoutboundsharing I looked it up online and found this post. Exactly same issue, looks like, with thousands, maybe over a hundred thousand, files listed. I’m in the process of deleting them now. My next step, if successful, will be to re-enable Tima Machine while excluding backing up Photos Library, which I have shared across my devices on iCloud (~70k pictures and videos).