Safari Web Inspector does not work with connected mobile devices, but with Xcode Simulator

Hi everyone, I’m working on several websites using Web Inspector to control css elements in iOS. But now all tabs in the Web Inspector are shown, but there is no content. Under the tab Elements there ist no html code shown, and css elements cannot be highlighted on mobile device iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6)

I’m using Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and Safari 11.1.2 on a Mac Pro (beginning 2008)

The mobile device ist listed in the Web Inspector and can be selected.

When I select the device in Web Inspector and roll over the website domain (opened on mobile device), the device screen is highlighted. That means there is a connection to the device.

After selecting the website, there ist no code under the elements tab and all other tabs have no content, too.

But together with the Xcode Simulator the Web Inspector works completely normal.

On my private iMac the Web Inspector also works completely normal with the same mobile devices.

What can be the reason? Thanks for your response.

Replies

Did you ever get it to work? I'm facing teh same problem... higlights the screen in the phone but nothing shows in inspector to actually debug the page.
Hello folks. This sounds like a bug, and I don't know why that may be happening. I encourage you to file a report at feedbackassistant.apple.com so that we may investigate further. Please include a sysdiagnose taken immediately after reproducing the problem.

Thanks, BJ

Is there a way around to this problem ? I am facing similar issue on

• BigSur 11.4
  • Safari Version 14.1.1 (16611.2.7.1.4)
  • Have you solved the problem?

Add a Comment

Same as Yahyaali1. Yesterday my inspector was hard crashing on Catalina and iOS 13.x. I upgraded to iOS 14.6 and that caused the inspector to stop hard crashing, but it's also inoperable. Console commands don't execute, DOM not visible, etc.

Big Sur 11.4 iOS 14.6 Safari 14.1.1