UIDocumentPickerViewController with kUTTypeFolder - All 3rd party providers are greyed out

When I use the UIDocumentPickerViewController with kUTTypeFolder I am only able to pick from the providers built-in to iOS/iPad OS, such as On My iPad, iCloud Drive, network shares and USB drives. As of beta 4, 3rd party providers are shown, but disabled (not selectable or browsable).

I have not been able to find any information on whether or not 3rd party providers will be supported by the release of iPad OS 13. I am hoping this will be possible in a future build (or at least something 3rd party providers can enable) since this is a big driving factor for enabling us to ditch a *lot* of custom cloud storage code.

Any info (or if anyone knows either way) would be much appreciated!

Accepted Reply

I have been instructed by DTS to file a bug report for this. For anyone else affected by this issue -- PLEASE file your own bug report so this can be properly escalated (e.g. looked at sooner than with only one report): https://feedbackassistant.apple.com

Replies

same for me...even with shouldShowFileExtensions property to true.

Are you able to read the contents of a file?

I am able to read folders picked from "On My iPad", "iCloud Drive", USB drives and SMB shares. The only issue I have is not being able to pick a folder from 3rd party providers like Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, PDF Export, and so on.

All 3rd party providers are greyed out, even though the documentation says: "With iOS 13, users can select a directory from any of the available file providers using a

UIDocumentPickerViewController
." I have not found any mention of exceptions to this, so I am at a loss as to if this is an intended limitation, or if there are some additional steps I need to take to enable selecting a folder from a 3rd party provider.

I have been instructed by DTS to file a bug report for this. For anyone else affected by this issue -- PLEASE file your own bug report so this can be properly escalated (e.g. looked at sooner than with only one report): https://feedbackassistant.apple.com

Yeah, this has been a problem for a while now. I’ve thought that it was an issue with Dropbox or Google, but I’ll go ahead and file a bug now for it.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of J0hn Down vote reply of J0hn
I have the same problem. I will also send a bug report.

Bug report sent as well.

Bug report sent as well.

Is there any hope that Apple will ever fix this? User of my app are complaining that they can't access 3rd party storage, and I keep telling that to wait for Apple since more that 3 years.

• I think there is a general lack of support for granting access to folders on 3rd party storage providers (i.e. not iCloud Drive). I say this because document-based apps that use UIDocumentBrowserViewController with a package format will fail to save on all 3rd party storage providers. Similarly, Swift Data documents also fail to save on all 3rd party storage providers (since they use the package format as well). I wish they would fix this, it's a support nightmare and a poor user experience!

Add a Comment

This has been supported for a while and you can find some information here: https://twitter.com/palmin/status/1177860144258076673?s=20

I make a Git & SSH client where the Files locations support folder picking this way.

Since iOS 16 it has also been possible to implement NSFileProviderReplicatedExtension which makes folder picking possible with less work and responsibility from the 3rd party app. I have two other apps doing this.

• Thanks for the update! To be clear -- this is something the File Provider needs to support, correct? So instead of filing bug reports with Apple, now we need to direct our users to contact their File Provider of choice to get them to implement this?

Add a Comment