56 Replies
      Latest reply on Dec 22, 2019 6:48 AM by eqarab
      cmb94 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

After updating to macOS 10.15 beta 4 on my MacBook Pro Early 2015, if I leave my computer inactivate for about 5-10 minutes the computer completely freezes. There is not feedback of any key presses, the track pad doesn't "click", etc. I have to force a reboot but I am not recieving any log files to figure out what's happening. Is anyone else experiencing this or figured out how to prevent this?

• Re: MacBook Pro freezing after inactivity
          dbrandt6 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same thing of my MacBook Air (Early 2015).

Angel_Gabriel Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same here on MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Pallidus83 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My macbook pro does the same thing. It even happends with the lid closed

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro12,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

I think I found what it is related too. It seems to only happen when my MacBook Pro is connected to a power source.

Pallidus83 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

How often do you logout but not shut down your MacBook Pro?

Yesterday i logged out of my MBP then after 20 minnuets i logged back in and now i dont have the freezing anymore

JRH00 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same issue going on when the screen saver activates either through testing or automatic, and if I leave the macbook with no activity.   This requires the system to be forced to power cycle.

My computer is the following : MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

kiwicano Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Macbook Pro model A1502. mine has also suddenly started dong this i thougt it was just on safari as ive gone back to it from chrome but its also done it on mail and outlook .

Complete freeze, no buttons can work, have to restart whole computer. very very annoying.

scobihughes Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This has also happened to me on my MBP mid 2015.

Has anyone managed to find a solution as i am unable to roll back to Mojave.

RibeiroFd Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My Mac is also doing the same thing, after several tests, I found out, the problem is in power management.   I always use my mac with an external screen, so the image goes to the screen you need to turn on the source. I set the mac aside with the lid down but not closed and pulled the cable from the power supply.   It's not crashing anymore !!!!     The worst is in my IOS13 I can no longer use the APP Personnalite, it opens and closes, now to pay bills I have to go to the bank huahuahuuhauhauhauhuhauhauhauhahuhuaO meu Mac tambem esta acontecendo a mesma coisa, depois de varias testes , consegui descobrir, o problema esta no gerenciamento de energia.

Eu sempre uso o meu mac com uma tela externa, para a iamgem ir para a tela vc precisa ligar a fonte. deixei o mac de lado com a tampa abaixada mas nao fechada e tirei o cabo da fonte.

não esta mais travando!!!!

O Pior esta no meu IOS13 que nao consigo mais usar o APP do Personnalite, ele abre e fecha, agora para pagar contas tenho que ir no banco huahuahuuhauhauhauhuhauhauhauhahuhua

dbrandt6 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This seems to be working.. I use the 27" Apple Cinema Display connected to my 2015 MacBook Air.  As long as I unplug the power from the wall to the computer.... seems ok.... or sometimes I unplug the display from the computer and keep the power to the computer plugged in if it is getting low on battery.   Thank you.

1961russ Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Similar issue. macbook Pro 2017 Catalina beta 4. Randomly locks up with no apparent ause or pattern, possibly associated with safari but im not sure. Feedback submitted.

JWPyle3 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Exact same thing here.  I have a 2015 12" Macbook.  As of beta 4 them computer freezes at 10 minutes of inactivity.  I timed it. 

Also, the computer becomes noticeably hot above the keyboard where the MacBook's mainboard is located after the freeze.  During normal use its only slightly warm. 

I submitted a report via Feedback Assistant.

Jim

leedsdg Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same issue with my Macbook 2015, becaomes hot and unsuable.  I have completinly shutdown each time.  This is definatkey related to power managemnet bug, hopefully it's fixed in next updaye which I hope is today.

dVox Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Ugh!

So happy to see i'm not the only one, I even did a clean install because I thought maybe something was up. I sent in feedback / report. I hope the next update will correct this issue. For a moment I thought I had a remix playing, since the music in the background went on a constent repeat.

I also thought maybe my poor little Macbook was done and couldn't take this upgrade . . . was this update suppose to help with performance?

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)

Processor 1.2 GHz Intel Core M

Memory 8 GB

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 5300

Has anyone heard anything about this as of yet?   I still see the problem with putting the computer to sleep and then waiting for the authentication notice or if the screen saver goes active then you cannot login or see the login prompt as the screen saver does not halt.

davipt Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I have two situations related to this, but not a solution.

When I remote desktop into my Mac mini, when the screen saver (which is also responsible for turning the screen off, even if no real screen saver exists) kicks in, and my remote desktop shows the login screen, after logging in, I see either CleanMyMacX or iStats reporting that the ScreenSaverd (I think) is hanged. In that situation I'm lucky that I can still enter the password and go back in, even if the daemon is hanged.

However, on my own MBP, connected to an external monitor, I've had the same situation where I come back from lunch, touch a key to wake up the machine, the touchbar shows the "touch to unlock" but nothing happens, none of the two screens wakes up, no key or touchbar or touchid changes anything, can't even trigger a sysdiagnose with the key combination, forcing me to force restart the machine.

My suggestion is to fully disable the screen saver, and instead just use the lock screen to turn the monitor off and go to sleep whenever the machine wants to. In other words, I'm pretty sure the process for the screensaver is hanging and preventing the machine from turning the screen on and react.

myphronesis Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same. If I leave my Mac Air open and plugged in, it freezes and the fan(s) starts up.  Hold down power button and reboot - just annoying.  I believe this does not happen when just running on battery. 

Also - indicates that I have the latest update, but I think not.

Also - LG widescreen monitor is no longer working (that I suspect is just a driver issue).

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) using Catalina version 19A512f

Vikingo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Having exactly the same problem. Not related to anyapp opened. I closed everything and still happens, when the screen goes off, after 5 minutes computer stops responding.

Adam_J Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yep seeing the same problem wih my MBP Early 2015 connected to Thuderbolt Cinema displays.  Based on the post by dbrandt6 I am now having to run off battery until ithe machine runs out and then shutdown and recharge battery.  Thankfully I have an iPad I can use whilst charging.  Have submiited a feedback submission to Apple so hopefully the next update will resolve this.

I'm still having this issue with Beta 5 (19A526h). However, I have determined that if you stream music in iTunes it will not lock up. It has to be a stream like the new iHeartRadio stations or Beats 1. While this certainly is not a fix, it helps.

jb4g16 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same here. I thought it was when plugged in only though

bergmayer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

apart from the issue with fans, this sounds the same as the bug that I have, but with an iMac. https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/120716

sjk Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm having this exact issue with my MacBook Pro Early 2015 in Catalina beta 5. I haven't been able to figure out what exactly causes it, but after a few minutes of not interacting with the computer, the trackpad can no longer be clicked, keyboard doesn't appear to work, and the display freezes. The only option is to hold the power button to restart.

Each of the 3 times this has happened I've been running Safari, the latest Xcode beta (5) + simulator, Music, Terminal, Sketch, and Visual Studio Code. On AC power, with iPhone connected via USB. I haven't been able to duplicate the freezing in Safe Mode.

Edit: Just tested again. I disabled screensaver to see if it had any effect, and it still froze exactly 6 minutes and 8 seconds after I left it alone.

Edit 2: Again: 6 minutes, 17 seconds.

Edit 3: Unplugged power. 18+ minutes, no freeze.

DST.Laurent Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Edit 1: IMDPersistenceAgent seems to be the one ... any clue?

Woolsoft Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same problem on my MacBook Air Early 2015 with Catalina beta 5.

Have added new user and work with that user.

Problem solved for me.

Hope, its usefull for all.

Lord Spesh Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Early 2015 Macbook.  Same issue.  Locks up when on power and no activity.  The back of the Macbook gets hot at the top near the hinge.  This started in beta 4 and continues in beta 5.  I reinstalled Mojave and the problem went away.  I then installed 10.15 beta 5 again and the problem returned.

Looks like something is screwed with Catalina's power management code.

bvoisin Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Exactly the same here, with MacBook 8,1 (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015): when left alone for a few minutes it becomes totally unresponsive and the only way forward is to force swith off or reboot (by pressing the Power key for several seconds). When that happens, the back lid is quite hot. This was with the MacBook in closed-display mode plugged into a LG Ultrafine 4K monitor, which provides power to it. This all started when installing Public Beta 4 (19A526h).

Progress update: resetting the SMC seems (so far) to have solved the issue. Immediately after resetting the SMC, the Mac was incapable of setting secure connections up (no connection to https sites in Safari, no authentication in streaming apps or antivirus software, and System Prefs > Apple ID claiming new authentication was required); I do no know whether that is related. Anyway, this again was solved by signing out in Apple ID; the process was buggy, two attempts were necessary, but after doing that and restarting everything was OK: still signed in in Apple ID, https connections and authentication working, and (so far) no freeze when the Mac is left alone for several minutes. To be on the safe side, I also set the display off time to 2 hours in Energy Saver prefs for Power Adapter.

False hope: resetting the SMC didn't change things, the Mac still freezes when left alone for some time. It may just be the longer display-off time in the Energy Saver prefs that increased the time before the freeze. Hope Apple fixes the bug quick, as affected Macs are close to unusable, especially for Time Machine backups.

tmerwin10 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Having the same issue with my 2017 MacBook Air. Resetting SMC did nothing but I created a new user on my system and when logged into that user the issue has not happened, going on 48 hours now. As soon as I log back into my original user account I can leave it idle for maybe 6 miutes before it becomes unresponisive and the fans sound like they are going to cause the machine to take flight.

ASB0310 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same thing on my Macbook Air Early 2015.

Fuzati_Thaddeus Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same issue here.  MacBook Pro (retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) 2.9 core i5 16Gb RAM.  Simply adding details in the event that Apple checks out this thread. -Thanks

bacan91 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same issue here!

Macbook Pro Early 2015.

Apple please help!

phitau Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This happend on my Early 2015 MBP as well. The latest update (19A526h) fixed it!

MaksPlus Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same thing on mine Early 2015 MacBook Air. Both on beta 4 and 5.

But today I managed to discover the issue which crashes my Mac, I think it's something about Photos app. I'm using iCloud Photo Library, I have pretty massive library (about 63K photos) and "Optimize disk space" option enabled.

Anyway, I launched a MacBook, opened Activity Monitor app, set on CPU tab and processes sorted by the % of CPU usage, and CleanMyMac widget to have the info about CPU usage and temperature, and I left the MacBook alone to reproduce the thing that I'm not using it. Suddenly the process called "photolibraryd" appeared first on the list, taking 142% of CPU (idk how's that even possible). I remember that lastly when I got to the photos app it was saying on the bottom of photos view that it's "sorting my photos".

And I think it does make some sence actually, some of you were talking that this bug doesn't occur when the Mac is disconected from the power supply, and Photos app wasn't taking any of backgroud actions when the Mac is on battery, so I think this operation is not being taken as well.

I encourage you to test it out on your Macs as well, maybe it's a major problem, or maybe it's just mine and yours are being triggered by something else.

davipt Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Sorry, but photoslibraryd can't take the machine down, unless you (or someone else) can notice it having some memory leak and consuming more memory than available. A process consuming too much memory and forcing the swapfile to grow too much is a good candidate to a system freeze, but I personally haven't seen any memory leaks on photoslibraryd, and I have almost 2TB on the cloud and 155K photos.

142% is perfectly normal. That follows the unix style of measuring 100% of one core, so 142% means it's used "1.42 CPUs". If you have an i5 with 2 cores, 4 with hiperthreading, you can see processes consuming 390% of the CPU (it will never reach 400), and with a 4 core (8 hyperthreads) it's possible to see almost 800%, and with the new 6 code, even almost 1200% of CPU.

This crash, from what I see on the logs, is somehow related to the screen saver, and to display resolution switching whe it tries to wake up and gets confused with the external monitor. I have also seen the machine not switching from the internal Intel GPU into the dedicated GPU, which is used for the external monitor, so in my case if feels like the system is idle, and when it wakes up, it locks up trying to switch the dedicated GPU, and entering a dead loop failing to do it.

Disabling the screen saver completely seemed to have helpmed me for some days. And then Friday it crashed again.

wjpjr Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

MaksPlus based on my experimental diagnosis I believe you are correct in that the photoslibraryd daemon appears to cause some interaction with the system after a period of user inactivity. I've been able to stop the freezing from occuring by moving aside the com.apple.photolibraryd.plist located the the /System/Library/LaunchAgents folder located on the boot volume. The moving aside of the plist file needs to be done under Recovery Mode using the terminal app. To accomplish the move I created a new folder called "LaunchAgents (Disabled)" and used the "mv" command to move the plist file from the LaunchAgents folder to my "LaunchAgents (Disabled)" folder. I then rebooted, logged in and observed the system did not freeze while runnning the screensaver for more than one hours time. To verify my conclusion and repeatability I moved back the plist file to the LaunchAgents folder once again using Recovery Mode and rebooted to allow the daemon to start again at boot. After logging in and letting my screensaver start I observed a hard system freeze once again on my MacBook Pro 2015 after a few minutes. I'm not interesting in using the photos app at this time so disabling the daemon is of no consequence for me. I would rather have a stable system I can do my testing on. This seems to be a weird issue to say the lease ... Let's hope it's resolved in the next beta!

Created feedback FB6917382 documenting the findings and workaround.

TristanXie Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I closed iCloud Photos and my problem solved

andreyz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

After reading this, I've disabled iCloud Photos on my MacBook 2015 and the issue is gone. No freezing while inactive on power.

karlstraw Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have now disabled photo's in system icloud panel and after a reboot the issue seems to have gone away photolibraryd is not longer spiking with memory or cpu usage and the system seems stable.  Time will tell.

RibeiroFd Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello

I am also having the same problem.

The solution is to work without the power supply

rky Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same happening to my Macbook (Early 2015).

So it seems to be a power management bug. Since it does not happen when not plugged into a charger, you can do all of your work while charging and then stop charging or you can do something that forces your computer to stay awake. I have seen suggestions of the "Amphetamine" app, available on the Mac App Store, or my solution of a true audio stream in a native app, like Music. Both seem to work in my case.

I have tried the "photolibraryd" fix and it does delay when the system freezes; however, it does in fact eventually freeze. This also does not make as much sense, at least to myself, since this process is always running whether the computer is plugged in or not.

In the mean time, the solution for me that has worked best, is creating a new user, I named mine "PleaseDontFreeze", and leave it with all factory settings and did NOT set an Apple ID! I just switch to that user when I step away from my desk and then switch back to my main user account.

Hopefully this helps everyone else having issues. Logging in and out is certainly not ideal, but better than forcing your system to restart or booting into Mojave everytime you leave your desk.

In the meantime, we should all be sure to report "feedback", "radars", whatever we call it now.

tmerwin10 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I had initially created a nother user to help with this as well but remembering to log out and into the new one everytime I had to walk away was cumbersome and I did not want to set up everything I needed on a new user knowing that this will (hopefully) be resolved in a short time. I have found success in running Amphetamine. I also moved my photolibrary at the same time so not entirely sure which one worked but here I am an hour after walking away from my 2017 MacBook with the cover down, power connected and external monitor on and IT FINALLY DID NOT FREEZE!!!!!! Which means we will probably see this fixed and released tomorrow since I have spent 2 weeks losing my mind.

wimgs Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

unplugging the power works, but there is another way, if you need to stay plugged.

--->       Start to play Music WITH visual effect ON.

it worked for me all yesterday.

pay attention not to have the music stopped, as it freezes again.

It seems this problem has persisted to Beta 6.  I found that when I try to lock the screen the system does not allow any input, nor does it show the authentication window.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
                                                                                                      eqarab Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Has anyone found a fix for this issue? Now experiencing with my 2017 MBP since upgrading to Catalina. Appears to only be an issue when plugged in.