authorization plugin doesn't work in 10.15

Hello,

I've installed the macOS Catalina beta 2 to test our custom authorization client (plugin), but I noticed that it doesn't work over a screensaver at all. Then I tried the default client but with the authenticate-session-owner-or-admin rule for the screensaver.

If I modify the system.login.screensaver rule to use authenticate-session-owner-or-admin instead of use-login-window-ui, then I see no UI trying to unlock the running screensaver, no matter how many times I try.

Is that a bug, or Apple broke authorization plugins for a purpose. I know that the authenticate-session-owner-or-admin rule uses the legacy code, and Apple is only interested in the modern 'fancy' use-login-window-ui. But only the first one supports plugins.

For the last three years Apple is adding more and more bugs in that area from one release to another. I have a number of bugs that has been ignored by Apple for a year or two.

So, my question is there any hope to have this issue fixed in the macOS 10.15 release?

Because as for now, this totally brokes our product

Replies

I don’t have any input on your specific situation — I do support this stuff in general, but I’m not yet up to speed on any 10.15 changes in this space — but my recommendation in situations like this is always the same: File a bug. If that comes back as ‘not to be fixed’, you know this was a deliberate design change.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi lex.andreev,

Did you ever submit a bug report for this, and if so could you tell me the ID? It's affecting our product (probably lot of others as well) and I want to have the ID so I can ask my Apple contact about the status and disposition of the issue.

Hi f3rrix/lex.andreev,

I am facing a similar issue where custom window is working for login.console but not Screensaver unlock in 10.14.My custom window is in the background and can take keyboard input but not showing up on screensaver regardless of whatever windows level I set. Please help me if you were able to solve this issue.