Xcode 11, beta 3, build failed: Encountered an error communicating with IBAgent-iOS.

Log details:

CompileStoryboard [my project directory]/Project/Launch\ Screen.storyboard (in target: MyApp)

cd [my project directory]/Project

export XCODE_DEVELOPER_USR_PATH=/Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/..

/Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/ibtool --errors --warnings --notices --module MyApp --output-partial-info-plist [my project directory]/Build/Intermediates/MyApp/Debug-iphoneos/MyApp.build/Launch\ Screen-SBPartialInfo.plist --auto-activate-custom-fonts --target-device iphone --target-device ipad --minimum-deployment-target 8.0 --output-format human-readable-text --compilation-directory [my project directory]/Build/Intermediates/MyApp.build/Debug-iphoneos/MyApp.build [my project directory]/Project/Launch\ Screen.storyboard

dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/MetalPerformanceShaders.framework/Frameworks/MPSNDArray.framework/MPSNDArray

Referenced from: /Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/Frameworks/MetalPerformanceShaders.framework/MetalPerformanceShaders

Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:

/Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/System/Library/Frameworks/MetalPerformanceShaders.framework/Frameworks/MPSNDArray.framework/MPSNDArray: file too short

2019-07-14 02:16:20.906 ibtoold[20948:158908] [MT] DVTAssertions: Warning in /Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IDEInterfaceBuilder/IDEInterfaceBuilder-14835.7/InterfaceBuilderKit/Utilities/IBAbstractInterfaceBuilderPlatformToolManager.m:428

Details: Failed to attach to IBAgent-iOS with error: Error Domain=com.apple.InterfaceBuilder Code=-1 "Encountered an error communicating with IBAgent-iOS." UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=IBAgent-iOS (20969) failed to launch and exited with status 6, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fdca26c3d30 {Error Domain=com.apple.InterfaceBuilder Code=-1 "Failed to launch IBAgent-iOS via CoreSimulator spawn" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to launch IBAgent-iOS via CoreSimulator spawn, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fdc326d2ad0 {Error Domain=com.apple.InterfaceBuilder Code=-1 "Failed to handshake with platform tool" UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Failed to open connection over FIFOs with platform tool, NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to handshake with platform tool, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fdc326d2890 {Error Domain=com.apple.InterfaceBuilder Code=-1 "" UserInfo=0x7fdc3269a500 (not displayed)}}}}}, NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=Please check Console.app for crash reports for "IBAgent-iOS" for further information., NSLocalizedDescription=Encountered an error communicating with IBAgent-iOS.}

Object: <IBCocoaTouchToolManager>

Method: +_THREADSAFE_launchNewToolWithLaunchContext:executionContext:toolProxyClass:proxyDelegate:failureContext:requestingMethod:error:forReason:

Thread: <NSThread: 0x7fdc9241d930>{number = 1, name = main}

Please file a bug at https://bugreport.apple.com with this warning message and any useful information you can provide.

2019-07-14 02:16:20.908 ibtoold[20948:158908] [MT] IBPlatformTool: *** Failed to launch tool with description <IBCocoaTouchPlatformToolDescription: 0x7fdc627d8700> System content for IBCocoaTouchFramework-EightAndLater <IBSimulatorDeviceTypeDescription: 0x7fdc32805a50> deviceType=com.apple.CoreSimulator.SimDeviceType.iPhone-8: Encountered an error communicating with IBAgent-iOS. (Failure reason: IBAgent-iOS (20969) failed to launch and exited with status 6): Failed to launch IBAgent-iOS via CoreSimulator spawn: Failed to handshake with platform tool (Failure reason: Failed to open connection over FIFOs with platform tool): : Failed to open FIFOs for handshaking with platform tool (Failure reason: IBAgent-iOS exited before we could handshake)

/* com.apple.ibtool.errors */

[my project directory]/Project/Launch Screen.storyboard: error: Encountered an error communicating with IBAgent-iOS.

Failure Reason: IBAgent-iOS (20969) failed to launch and exited with status 6

Recovery Suggestion: Please check Console.app for crash reports for "IBAgent-iOS" for further information.

Underlying Errors:

Description: Failed to launch IBAgent-iOS via CoreSimulator spawn

Underlying Errors:

Description: Failed to handshake with platform tool

Failure Reason: Failed to open connection over FIFOs with platform tool

Underlying Errors:

Description:

Recovery Suggestion: Try restarting your computer

Underlying Errors:

Description: Failed to open FIFOs for handshaking with platform tool

Failure Reason: IBAgent-iOS exited before we could handshake

A second error reads: Failed to launch IBCocoaTouchImageCatalogTool via CoreSimulator spawn. I assume that's a direct result of the above error.

I'm running Xcode 11, beta 3 on Mojave 10.14.5.

I have tried: Cleaning the project, deleting the product, rebooting my machine, copying the project, and re-installing Xcode. No dice.

It compiles and runs without error on Xcode 10, but that doesn't help me because I'm trying to debug an iOS 13 crash.

Anything else I should try?

UPDATE: I was finally able to resolve this by re-downloading the Xcode beta (again!) and running it from outside the Applications folder.

Replies

Were you able to resolve this issue? I am experiencing the same problem

I'm also having the same issue with Xcode 10.2 and Xcode 10.3. Using the swift version 5

When checked the console, it looks like IBAgent-iOS has tried 5 times to launch itself when crashed and then the error is thrown.