what do the three new restrictions in WWDC video 224 mean?

The presentation by David Duncan at the start of WWDC video 224 is completely unclear. The bullet points read:

• Adopt Launch Storyboards
  • Support any size
  • Support Split Screen Multitasking

I understand about launch images and letterboxing going away. But I don't understand the implications for iPad.

On the one hand he seems to say that split screen multitasking will be absolutely required. This implies that it will no longer be permitted to check Requires Full Screen. But then in the same breath he says something about "unless your app is a game that requires an immersive experience". That implies that Requires Full Screen _will_ still be permitted, in which case, what is the third bullet point saying?

Also what will be the fate of iPhone only apps? Will they still be permitted? On iPad they require full screen and are letterboxed. Is that going away? I have apps that make no sense at all on an iPad screen. I'd rather they just not run on iPad than that I be required to turn them somehow in to iPad apps.

Replies

I do not understand from Video 224 that they require to run on iPad. In fact, you can see at the very beginningt the checkboxes to select target, iPhone, and / or iPad.

But split screen multitasking is only required if you target iPad.

> do not understand from Video 224 that they require to run on iPad.

Unless something has changed, this continues to be related to how iPhone apps can be run in 1x/2x mode on iPad and the requirement that the app at least tries to look presentable etc. when doing so. If it doesn't, it can be cause for rejection during review.