does iOS support ARP

I need to get the ip and mac address of the devices connected on same network(router) on iOS application.I need to use ARP.But does iOS have any API to support the ARP commands which we usually give from our terminal.(e.g. arp -a)

When i give the command (e.g. arp -a)it gives me IP as well as mac addresses of the connected devices on MAC machine. Similar I want to acheive on iPhone/iPad application programmatically.

kindly help.

Replies

iOS has no supported way to examine the ARP cache.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn "The Eskimo!"
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Can I write the shell script with ARP commands like arp -a and run the script at run time and store the result of it.

e.g. a button in my UI screen when user clicks on the button I will run the shell script and get the IP and MAC and store the output in a file.

Is it allowed and will apple accept my application for app store.

Can I write the shell script …

iOS does not have a shell.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn "The Eskimo!"
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi,

One more solution I found for my problem is: I need MAC address of all devices in my network.Need to display MAC and IP in a UI screen.I am thinking to braodcast ARP request for all IPs from XX.XX.XX.2 to XX.XX.XX.255 and get the ARP response and save it for my use.I need to do it after every 5 min. Is it valid and apple will accept my application. If yes, Can u tell me how can i send ARP request in ios via TCP/IP or via SNMP.

AFAIK, sending and receiving ARP packets on OS X and iOS requires the code to be running as root, which means it is not possible for iOS apps to use ARP.

Why do you need the MAC addresses of nearby hardware?

Hi, i have the same problem... i need IP and MAC addresses of nearby hardware because i have one application was run on web and windows.

the application scan network and show the user all devices in network.

How i can use ARP command or similar command in IOS?