8 Replies
      Latest reply on Jul 16, 2019 5:29 PM by john daniel
      yetanothermeagain Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Xcode (tested with 10, and Xcode 11 Betas) allows a pointer to NSDictionary* (a pointer to a pointer) be used instead of a pointer to NSMutableDictionary*, which leads to a runtime crash instead of expected compilation error. I submitted a bug about it, but the bug returned with "works with clang-1001.0.46.3 which is part of Xcode 10.2". i wonder what that means to me as I do not use clang in terminal, only via Xcode. Can / should I somehow change the clang version that is used by Xcode?

a side question, are there several versions of clang installed with Xcode and for whatever reason Xcode is not using the latest one?

void foo(NSMutableDictionary** mutableDictionary) {

(*mutableDictionary)[@"hello"] = @"world";

}

NSDictionary* dictionary = [NSDictionary new];

foo(&dictionary); // no compilation error here!

// runtime error:

// *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[__NSDictionary0 setObject:forKeyedSubscript:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance

originally rdar://49775697

plus FB6447069, this time against Xcode

• Re: NSDictionary != NSMutableDictionary
          yetanothermeagain Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

not even the above, even this:

void foo(NSMutableDictionary** mutableDictionary) {

(*mutableDictionary)[@"hello"] = @"world";

}

NSObject* whatever = [NSObject new];

foo(&whatever); // no compilation error or warning here! obvious runtime crash down the road

looks like any superclass pointer causes this behavior. quite dangerous behaviour.

Animal -> Dog -> Labrador

void labradors_only_here_please(Labrador** labrador) {

[*labrador whatever_only_labradors_can_do];

}

Dog* generic_dog = [Dog new];

labradors_only_here_please(&generic_dog) // ok cap, no problem... boom, crash

• Re: NSDictionary != NSMutableDictionary
            eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (11,485 points)

I submitted a bug about it, but the bug returned with "works with clang-1001.0.46.3 which is part of Xcode 10.2".

I think you misinterpreted that response.  I just had a look at the state of your bug (r. 49775697) and it’s definitely still open and being treated as a bug by the compiler folks.

ps The fact that the warning is not emitted in the ARC case is likely to be the result of the compiler taking a different code path in order to handle one of the many complexities of ARC.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
            Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
            let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"