67 Replies
      Latest reply on Oct 11, 2019 4:08 PM by parrots
      cfc Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

My app has the ability to import GPX route files.  However I am getting reports from users of iOS13 that the app is no longer appearing in the list of available apps when they try to export a GPX file. 

Has anyone else seen or heard of this, and does anyone know how I might get around it?  As far as I know it is only the Imported UTIs that affect this - is iOS 13 more fussy about how they are specified?

• Re: App unable to import files in iOS13
          sdsykes Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Did you get to the bottom of this? I also have an app that exports UTIs, but on iOS 13 when opening an appropriate url Safari uselessly offers to download the file rather than offering the usual "Open with" dialog.

It sounds like a similar problem.

m_bedwell Level 2 Level 2 (70 points)

Same issue here.  From all the documentation, I believe my exported types are correct.  Opening a supported file from the 'Files' app launches my app, but my app doesn't appear in activity controllers, nor can I open files 'shared' through messeges, etc. 

I haven't worked out a way around it yet but when I uploaded my last beta I did get a warning about LSHandlerRank needing to be set on my document types.  I had it set for the GPX document type but not for a couple of other types, so maybe you cannot import any types if some of them do not have this key set?

It was only a warning and I haven't been able to test this theory because I didn't want to immediately release another beta with a new build number, so I won't be able to test the theory until my next beta.  I will probably also set CFBundleTypeRole as well because that seems to be associated with LSHandlerRank.

Apologies if this is a red herring but I thought I would mention it in case it helps anyone else.

randomizer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Are you sure it's not buried deep in the share window? There's a Manage ... on the bottom that hids a ton of stuff. It's really a lot more cluttered now despite having the redesign.

m_bedwell Level 2 Level 2 (70 points)

In my case, it's not a problem of being buried.  My application can share things just fine.  It can even be opened by those shared things... unless they are in iMessage.  I'm comfortable with it being a bug, given that code level support couldn't find anything amiss with my code.  I appreciate the offer of the assist though.

Has anyone found a way around this yet?  I just tried beta 8 and it is still not working, so I am worried that it will not be fixed for the release.

Someone on another thread (https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/122170) has spotted that the existence of other apps that have registered an interest in the same type could be the cause.  I uninstalled several such apps and suddenly my app appeared on the share list.  I then reinstalled the apps and it is still on the share list.

It seems inconsistent, but maybe knowing this may help us to work out what is going wrong.

keeshux Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Subscribing the thread for facing the same annoying issue. In the meantime I'll have to resort to the UIDocumentPickerViewController trick too (@cfc good call on this). More development time wasted to have a degraded app functionality.. and I foresee user complaints. Gosh, I'd better say nothing.

BTW I also filed a report a few days ago, but the bug has really been around since June. I had hoped that they could realize by themselves due to how blatant it is.

Let's strongly hope they don't release GM with such a shameful bug.

Meta question: are you submitting your reports to the "Feedback Assistant"? Is the "FB"-prefixed ID supposed to be the radar ID? I still see looong IDs in openradar.

I submitted my bug report using Feedback Assistant, although I haven't been able to login to it for several days.  It always seems to be down at the moment.  I wonder if that is why the iOS 13 beta is so bug-ridden: because the tool for reporting bugs is rarely working.

It is strange that such an obvious bug that was reported back in June hasn't been fixed in September, but maybe it isn't so obvious to Apple engineers.  It seems to depend on what other apps are installed and they may do their testing on "clean" devices without other apps.

So, I had to resort to the following to be 100% sure that users have a way to open their files:

<key>CFBundleDocumentTypes</key>
                                  <array>
                                      <dict>
                                          <key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
                                          <string>All files</string>
                                          <key>LSItemContentTypes</key>
                                          <array>
                                              <string>public.content</string>
                                              <string>public.data</string>
                                          </array>
                                          <key>LSHandlerRank</key>
                                              <string>Alternate</string>
                                              <key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
                                          <string>Viewer</string>
                                      </dict>
                                  </array>

I also dropped any Imported/Exported UTIs (unused in this scenario). Interestingly, I'm unable to open .ovpn files (which are plain text) with public.text or public.plain-text.

Granted, it's bruteforce-like, but it's the only way I had my app appear consistently. The obvious downside is that the app is virtually able to open all files, but compared to a crippling bug it feels like minor cosmetics. Import would eventually fail so I don't really care much.

Hope this can help other developers.

Cheers

I just got an email from Apple saying that the issue is fixed in iOS13.1 beta 2, which is great but it sounds like it will be an issue for users using iOS 13.  It will be interesting to see how soon after the iPhones are available that 13.1 will be available.  Hopefully very soon if not immediately!

"As a result of your feedback, there are software changes in build 17A5831c that have resolved this issue. Has this issue been fixed for you?"

StealthProd Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Does not seem to be fixed in beta 3

pstoppani Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

confirmed still not fixed in 13.1 beta 3.  I've submitted feedback indicating that this is SHOWSTOPPER bug!

Also, it does not require another app to be registered for same UTI.

Interestingly, PDF files now seem to work.  I get a list of PDF apps when I try to open a PDF attachment.  Even AirDrop works with PDFs.  Not with my files nor some others I've tried.

8thDwarf Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same here. Perhaps helpful: I have a ton of apps installed being able to handle GPX files, but none shows up via 'copy to'.

skuehn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

We solved it by re-adding all the file definitions in our App-Info.plist file by using Apples documentation and the Xcode Project Editor (In Xcode click on the project item at the top of the file tree. Then click on the tab "Info".) We used for that an iPhone SE with the newest iOS 13 beta and Xcode 11 GM (11A420a).

The manual:

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/qa/qa1587/_index.html

(See also the troubleshooting tips at the bottom.)

The result in the plist file looks like this:

<array>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleTypeIconFiles</key>

<array/>

<string>KML File</string>

<string>Editor</string>

<key>LSHandlerRank</key>

<string>Owner</string>

<array>

<string>org.example.app.document.kml</string>

</array>

</dict>

</array>

<key>UTExportedTypeDeclarations</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>UTTypeConformsTo</key>

<array>

</array>

<key>UTTypeDescription</key>

<string>KML File</string>

<key>UTTypeIconFiles</key>

<array/>

<key>UTTypeIdentifier</key>

<string>org.example.app.document.kml</string>

<key>UTTypeTagSpecification</key>

<dict>

<key>public.filename-extension</key>

<array>

<string>kml</string>

</array>

</dict>

</dict>

</array>

Again, still not fixed in beta 4.

Looks like this is a big problem for many apps

My bug report for the issue says less than 10 people have reported it, so I am wondering if Apple do not actually realise how big the problem is because their systems are not correctly detecting that multiple reports are for the same bug.  I guess it can be described in many ways.

Unfortunately iOS 13 is so buggy (the worst I can remember in over 10 years of iOS development) that bugs with so few reports are probably well down Apple's list of priorities.

staninprague Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Public iOS 13.1 seems to have the same problem to me. I added bug to Apple as well on this.

Uedich Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi there, managed to fix the problem for me.

Adding public.data value to the UTTypeConformsTo key did the trick.

<array>

</array>

8thDwarf Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This works fine, when you install the app on iOS 13.

But when you do on iOS 12, then update iOS 13 it won't. I fear, even an update of an already installed app won't help.

As established earlier, this is only the case when other apps are present that support this file import, too.

Uedich Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

That's right of course. You must provide an update that contains the key in the App's Info.plist. Any update is a new installation.

So what you mean is: if you install the update providing the key on iOS12 and do the upgrade to iOS13, it mechanism won't work either?

Weird...

filip32 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I managed to get the app displayed in the share menu, but after I select that option, my app isn't opened nor it produces any error, I'm just redirected to the home screen.

This is even worse.

eddieh48 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

No joy with 13.1.1

85thedenial Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same here, this is the situation:

Safari click on file (es. mail attachment):

IOS 12: straight to open file screen

IOS 13: downloads the file somewhere, interface is not clear, but when you figure out and find where to click you proceed to open file screen

Safari open file:

IOS 12: display screen with my custom UTI Type name and "open file with MyApp" button, on click opens the app correctly

IOS 13: display screen with the description of my custom UTI Type name, no buttons, look like it's broken. Need to look at the top for the share icon

Share dialog:

IOS 12: no problem

IOS 13: need to add (that i already had), i have a custom file, so no concurrent apps

<array>

</array>

On "Copy to MyApp" click

IOS 12: Opens app at the proper screen with file loaded

IOS 13: Safari crashes, doesn't open the app, scroll to the frist ios screen

Looks like a fail on every side, how can this have been missed? or is there a documentation to apply the proper fixes?

The UX on IOS13 (even if it worked) is a 10 years step back in user experience on the import flow, i hope it's not intended.

rohirrim Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I seem to have finally got it to work with iOS 13.1.1 by setting LSSupportsOpeningDocumentsInPlace to false - there's other apps installed on my device that can handle the same file but my app pops up in the share sheet and can open the file.

The problem with knowing if any specific change fixes the problem is that just the act of installing can solve the problem.  The order of installation/uninstallation seems to be a factor.  I have had several users re-install other apps that register an interest in GPX files and suddenly my app appears on the share list, despite them having made no changes to it at all.

I have also had users for whom it was working with iOS 13.1 but then it broke when they installed iOS 13.1.1.  It seems almost random but is triggered or fixed by the installation of a new iOS, or the install or uninstall of other apps that register interest in the same file type.

I am also now having problems with my workaround of showing a UIDocumentPickerViewController to allow files to be specifically imported.  It seemed to work with iOS 13.0 (or at least no-one complained) but sometimes does not work since iOS 13.1 was released.  Strangely it still does work for some users for whom the sharing mechanism is not working.  So it helps some users but not others.

I had set the document type for this import controller to be kUTTypeXML but for some people this will not allow any files to be selected for the affected users.  I will try making it kUTTypeData in the next version to see if that helps, although I would prefer not to make every data file selectable.

iOS 13.1.2 still no joy.

Alex.Chou9 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

when will they fix this issue on iOS13?  "Uninstalling all but one of the apps that can import GPX" works, but it is not elegant....

iPhone Beta13.2 - nope.

LeadNav Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

We are waiting on a response on this issue as we too import gpx and MBTile. Hopefully this gets resolved soon. From what we see it is totally random in that we can delete and reinstall the app and get different results. Sometimes we will show up as an import option, sometimes we won’t but if imported into Files first then sometimes we will show up in there and sometimes not. Only work around we found is to compress (.zip) the file then we show up and it can be imported. From the looks of it a fair number of gps apps are having this issue as I have them loaded and they no longer show up as an option. We’re not alone Apple. Kill this bug! Damian LEADNAV GPS

staninprague Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Damian, Stan here, Speedometer 55 developer, you can try with my most recent pro version and if import works for you (sqlitedb, mbtiles, gpx) when Leadnav fails, I'll share my solution with you. Would hate to see this Apple's total failure as a competitive factor for some apps. Per response from Apple that I got for my bug report on this with providing a link to this thread, I'd say we might not be sure we will have it fixed soon. We need to fix it ourselves.

But even if we fix it ourselves, still the problem is that you can't export from your app to the affected apps while users are of course seeing this problem as your app's problem. But that's another side of this problem.

LeadNav Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Apples response We understand that you are having issues with your type definition for .gpx files. At this time, there is no commonly-accepted Uniform Type Identifier for .gpx files and different developers have defined their .gpx declaration differently. This means that if two apps are installed on the same device that claim to open these files with different definitions, they won't interact correctly: from the user's point of view, only one of those apps, chosen seemingly at random, will be able to open these files. Our understanding is that this format was designed by Topografix, so our current recommendation is that you redeclare support for .gpx files in your app by adding a type declaration for com.topografix.gpx that conforms to public.data and has the filename extension tag gpx. An example declaration is shown here: UTImportedTypeDeclarationsUTTypeIdentifiercom.topografix.gpxUTTypeReferenceURLhttps://www.topografix.com/gpx.aspUTTypeConformsTopublic.dataUTTypeTagSpecificationpublic.filename-extensiongpx Apple does not generally declare Uniform Type Identifiers for file types the operating system does not natively support, so this is a change that you will need to make. If you and other developers standardize on this Uniform Type Identifier, users on iOS 13 should see these apps appear in UIActivityViewController and other relevant UI locations. Such a change will also benefit users still running iOS 12 and earlier if they have multiple apps installed that can handle this file format. For more information about declaring Uniform Type Identifiers, see our documentation here: https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/understanding_utis/understand_utis_declare/understand_utis_declare.html While making this change in your app will not immediately fix the problem, it is a step in the right direction as other developers adopt this UTI.

baraupp Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The problem is still present for me on iOS 13.1.2. My app has support for 5 different file types. Some work fine, others don't show up in the menu, even though all are specified in similar ways in the info.plist. For GPX files, if you open the file from Mail, then the app does not show up in the menu, but numerous other apps do. But if you transfer the file through AirDrop, then I don't get a menu at all. Instead, a popup comes up saying that "This file type needs an app from the App Store".

I have logged a bug report as well. I strongly suggest everybody to do so, to put pressure on Apple to fix this. This is a major, major bug which disables important functionality in apps.

radubc Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I had the same issue with my app, not released yet. My mistake was that I registered the gpx type as my own. For the Types property, I had "com.myappname.gpx". Same for Identifier. This told IOS that I have invented the gpx format and it should be registered as my app's. That was completely wrong.

In fact, the gpx is an xml format. So, for me, the solution was to set the "Types" property to public.xml and the "Conforms To" property to public.text. Now my app appears in the Share menu, as Copy to AppName, and the gpx file opens properly. My app is kind of hidden under the More button, but it's there. After setting it as favorite, it's on the first page, but that's the user preference.

In my rookie mind, that would explain why everything depends on the order of installation of the apps. If all the apps register themselves as the creator of the format, the app that was installed last will work, while the others will not. If we all register our apps as opening public formats, the isuue would disappear. In theory. Not tested enough.

All of my export files are .plist. I changed the "Types" to public.plist and "Conforms To" property to public.text but this still doesn't work for me.

I had also upgraded to 13.2 but then had to downgrade to 13.1.2 as Xcode would no longer load files onto my device giving me the message that I needed to upgrade to the latest version of Xcode.

iOS13.2 and xcode 11.2 still not working

This is how I got it to work for me. For the file type I just made an abitrary extension to the file I was saving as an email attachment:  filename.anyuniqueextension

Under Document Types I left the default value of "Damian-s.${PRODUCT_NAME:rfc1034identifier}"

Then under "UTTypeTagSpecification" change Item 0 to "anyuniqueextension"

Make sure in your app that you read and write the file extension with "anyuniqueextension"  

All of my file types are .plist.

Did you add these or where they already there? I only have Document Types, I don't see UITypeTage Specification anywhere. Can you provide more detail

I replaced the types that were there.

It would be easiest to show an image but since images aren't allowed here, this is the text from the .plist file in the app:

The UITypeTage is in the UTExportedTypeDeclarations. 

The extension to the email data file is "visionPF". This is added to the file name in the app when creating the email attachment.

<array>

<dict>

<array>

<string> blah blah blah path to icon image </string>

<string>VisionEmailIcon.png</string>

</array>

<string>VisionFliteSettings File</string>

<string>Editor</string>

<key>LSHandlerRank</key>

<string>Owner</string>

<array>

<string>Damian-s.${PRODUCT_NAME:rfc1034identifier}</string>

</array>

</dict>

</array>

<key>UTExportedTypeDeclarations</key>

<array>

<dict>

<array>

</array>

<key>UTTypeDescription</key>

<string>VisionFliteSettings File</string>

<key>UTTypeIconFiles</key>

<array>

<string>VisionEmailIcon.png</string>

</array>

<key>UTTypeIdentifier</key>

<string>Damian-s.${PRODUCT_NAME:rfc1034identifier}</string>

<key>UTTypeTagSpecification</key>

<dict>

<key>public.filename-extension</key>

<array>

<string>visionPF</string>

</array>

</dict>

</dict>

</array>

Petr Hoffman Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've solved this in may app by replacing custom UTIs with system defined ones. I used them in Info.plist in the "Document types" section and removed all exported UTIs. Now my app is back in the list of available apps.

You can get UTI for a file by using this command in Terminal (God bless Wikipedia :-)):

mdls -name kMDItemContentType -name kMDItemContentTypeTree -name kMDItemKind FILE

For GPX files the UTI is "com.apple.dt.document.gpx". Corresponing record in Info.plist should look like this:

<dict>
                                                                                                  <array/>
                                                                                                  <string>GPX record</string>
                                                                                                  <string>Editor</string>
                                                                                                  <key>LSHandlerRank</key>
                                                                                                  <string>Owner</string>
                                                                                                  <array>
                                                                                                      <string>com.apple.dt.document.gpx</string>
                                                                                                  </array>
                                                                                              </dict>

kkip Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I finally solved this problem for custom UTIs. First a little background. Our apps have two or three custom file types. They have been in the apps for at least five years and have always worked fine. After upgrading to iOS 13, users could no longer import their files from any source.

After trying many suggestions in this thread, I finally decided to delete the entire "Exported Type UTIs" and "Imported Type UTIs" keys from the info.plist for each app. Note that I used the property list view for all changes, not the source view. Next, I went to the target info tab and created new Exported UTIs and Imported UTIs. The identifier for each UTI was the same as before, which was the reverse company domain and the custom file extention (com.company.ext). The "conforms to" field was set to "public.data" for all. In the "additional properties" area, I added the UTTypeTagSpecification key as a dictionary and added the "public.filename-extension" key as an array. In the array I added one item which was the file extention.

UTTypeTagSpecification               Dictionary

public.filename-extension        Array

Item 0                                  String                ext

Prior to these changes,  I was working with the plist source to try to solve this problem. But apparently using the property gui editor changed the plist source in a way that resolved the problem. I only did a quick compare of the old file and the new and didn't see anything obvious.

Also, note that I did not make any changes to the Document Types.