Missing Monthly Challenge Awards

Good evening.

Last week, I have updated my iPhone XS Max 64 GB to iOS 13 Developper beta 2. I had several software issues (crashes, bugs, etc) and decided to try a clean install and restored the device. I did not think about my Apple Watch when I did the restore and was horrified when I realized that it unpaired.

I restored the Apple Watch with the back-up that was created right before restoring the iPhone and restored the iPhone with the iCloud back up I had made in the morning. Everything went very well, except that I am missing every Monthly Challenge Award I have earned since October 2018 (so every month except for January and June 2019). I can’t even see the June 2019 challenge anymore.

I don’t know if it is related or if it is a coincidence, but I have had this Apple Watch Serie 4 since early October, so it seems like only the Monthly Challenge Awards earned with this device have been affected. Everything else (workouts, limited editions awards, other awards) is back and everything is fine.

I have tried un-pairing and re-pairing the watch. I have also tried rebooting both devices. I have had no luck so far.

I have an iOS 12.3 Public Beta back-up dated from the 4th of June on my MacBook, I am considering restoring with this back-up. However, I am worried that all the activities that I have completed since then are going to be lost, as I am not sure if my activity data is backed up independently in iCloud or if it is contained in my June 4th back-up. If I am trying this solution, I will create a second back-up just to be sure that I can recover my activity data for June. Losing my monthly challenges awards would be a small price to pay compared to losing my 9 month streak.

I am also considering the possibility that it may be a case of awards that are going to show up later. I know that it is recommended to wait because it can take up to 9 days for awards to appear.

Anyone have experience with a similar problem? Is there a solution I am not thinking of? Is there a possibility that my two course of action would work? Any help is welcome!

Thank you

• I received my Perfect month for May award, BUT in regards to the challenge I didn’t get the award. My May challenge was to close all three rings 31 times. I did but no award when I woke up. Any ideas?

Add a Comment

Replies

I have the same issue. I also lost all of my activities. I tried to restore the information from older iCloud backups without success several times. I believe activity and health data is not being properly extracted from iCloud backups. I sent in a feedback report. Hopefully, the issue will be resolved in the next beta release by either the Health and Activity Apps or iCloud.

Here’s a “me too” I’ve been backing up and restoring using iTunes since 2007. I still have SMS from my original 2G. No major issues for all this time. I have too many photos. At one time, had 155K photos, almost 2TB on the cloud, but my iPhone X is only 64GB, and consuming 34GB just for metadata leaves no space for anything else. iOS 13 is getting worse and worse. I had to remove old years, down to 60K, now just 22K. And found out that every time Photos crashes, iOS or Mac, a lot of cruft will remain around, so I was forced to do a reset and restore… except Catalina finder is completely broken for backups and restores. So for the first time, I’ve tried the cloud backup. At a first glance it looked correct. Until I saw no call history - opened a bug, there’s more people complaining, and eventually the history appeared, I suspect the first time someone calls you. And then I saw my monthly challenges gone. All of them for the last 12 months. In my case I have it the other way around - my watch, which was not restored, still shows them, but my iPhone doesn’t. However I suspect it’s not a core issue with the reset and restore, as even before doing that, the august challenge did not appear on the watch. Yes, now the watch can also show the challenges, and I’m pretty sure the developers broke everything. So not only I have no challenge for this month anymore, but I have no willing to bother at all when now I know everything can be lost at any moment. So I have a screen shot of my watch, and gave up trying. I’ll keep exercising as I feel like it, but I won’t trust my data to Apple anymore. Sorry, have no solution for this. I could say to simply not risk using the betas, as those are known and expected to have issues, but after more than ten years of experience with Apple, I also know that if it’s not us, beta testers, suffering these data loses and issues, and fighting hard to get them fixed, the same issues will happen to normal people when the official version gets released.

Me too. Restored back whilst on the latest iOS 13 beta 8 and lost all but 3 monthly challenge awards...dozens! Really ****** off.

Are there any news to solve this issue? Yesterday I‘ve bought the new 11 Pro and after coupling my watch with it and using the backup all my monthly challenges are gone. To be honest I had to do this several times because after the first try there was no award at all. Saying e.g. „you need to close the rings 100 times to achieve this award.at the moment you have 417“. It is really annoying. I set myself a years challenge to achieve every month challenge and now everything is gone!

Looks like this is broken on the 13.1 release as well

Exact same problem here after changing from my iPhone XS to the iPhone 11 Pro. Missing only the monthly challenge awards since October 2018 (which is when I changed to my Apple Watch Series 4). I've collected every single one! All other awards are showing up...

...also found this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250658356

I’m in a exact same situation! Upgrade my iPhone XS to 11 pro with my series 4 watch. All my monthly challenges are gone! Hoping that Apple will fix this issue soon.

I’ve had the exact same issue. Setting up my IPhone 11 pro max messed with my watch 3 and 4. I had to reset both twice and lost all monthly challenges of 2019. My 2018 challenges up to September are still in the app.

I'm just adding to the "me as well" group. For me, when I opened my Awards on the Apple Watch 4 itself, I could see all of my monthly challenges and awards, but they were missing on the Activity App on the iPhone itself after upgrading to ios13. I unpaired/repaired my Apple Watch to see if the Apple Watch backup to the iPhone would restore the monthly challenges to the Activity app on the iPhone. Nope. Now I've lost the monthly challenges on the Apple Watch, as well as on the iPhone Activity app. Not a happy camper. I'm just hoping, at this point, to see a new monthly challenge show up next Tuesday for October and start all over again. I've also updated to ios13.1 and watchos6 - still cannot see the monthly challenges and awards from the past that I've earned. I do see all the other awards for past challenges - just not the monthly challenges and awards.

Do you see all of your other activities and awards? On both iPhone Activity app? And on the Apple Watch? Is it just the monthly challenges that are gone?

I can see all other awards except monthly challenges.

Sam here, I have lost all my 2019 monthly challenges as well. Looking forward for the fix.

Glad I found this post. Upgraded to an XR with my series 2 and the same thing happened. All other achievements carried over. Hopefully we see a fix.

I posted on Community forum, hope could help: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250658356?page=4

I have the same problem too. I switched to a new iPhone 11 Pro Max from an XS Max and an Apple Watch Series 4 to a Series 5. I configured the devices as new without going through backups as I have always done with previous versions of iOS.

All the medals are back except those of the monthly challenges of end 2018 and all those of 2019 (I had won 7 of 8).

But I found a strange thing that I ask you to verify:

1. Go to "Settings on iPhone

2. Go to the "Health" section

3. Go to "Data and Devices": here all the Apple Watch and all the Apps you have used with the "Health" App will appear. The strange thing is here. The Apple Watch Series 5 I use now is called "Apple Watch Series 5" (I renamed myself from the "Watch" App) but it results without any data, as if it were not even connected with iPhone.

4. Another Apple Watch in the list named "Apple Watch of Francesco" (it is the default name that is given during the first synchronization) is "No longer matched with iPhone" but in reality it is this that receives the data and populates the list activities.

5. I state that this happens even if I rename the current Watch in "Apple Watch di Francesco" as default. Simply in this case we will have two watches with the same name in the list with the same problem.

I think the problem is here and I don't know how to solve it. I tried again to unpair and pair the Watch again but this does nothing but add an old source.

Can you tell me if it happens to you too ???

Thanks

I have checked mine as per your message and I have 3 Apple watches listed and the one with all the data from when I got the Apple Watch says no longer paired with this iPhone. If anyone knows how I can get the saved data the I believe the badges would return. Apple help!!