System Requirements for XCode

Hi there!

I'm planning to check Core/Create ML3 that's been just released and develop some applications for iOS devices.

but XCode and ML3 runs on only Apple products, I need to get a Macbook..

Wondering if there are any minimum or recommended system requirements to run XCode smoothly for develop/investigate AI features on Apple.

Honestly I've been searching for that info. but so far nothing. Only OS versions.

Thanks in adavance.

Replies

If you found OS versions, that's the 'system'. When it's put together with developer tools, it becomes an IDE - integrated development environment

See the Xcode wiki for details on compatible macOSs. macOS 10.4.3 is required for current Xcode 10.2.1 (current macOS is 10.14.4) - however the next, Xcode v11.x, will require macOS 10.14.5. If you get a mac that runs 10.14.4, it will run 10.14.5

If you want to get something now, with legs for the next few years, get something made in the last few years, at least. My opinion is 2016 or newer at a minimum.

Just remember to max the physical ram and get twice as much SSD/HD as you think you'll need...actually, determine that number, then double it again.

Also, be aware that creating apps isn't just about running Xcode. You'll be using editors for your content, Safari to access reference materials, etc. etc. You'll consume storage space quickly, so plan ahead. And don't forget a backup to protect your work.

As for which macs...macOS Mojave runs on the following macs:

• MacBook: Early 2015 or newer.
  • MacBook Air: Mid 2012 or newer.
  • MacBook Pro: Mid 2012 or newer.
  • Mac Mini: Late 2012 or newer.
  • iMac: Late 2012 or newer.
  • iMac Pro.
  • Mac Pro: Late 2013 or newer; Mid 2010 or Mid 2012 if upgraded with a recommended Metal-capable GPU.
  • Ive been developing iOS apps since the App Store launched (app #1001), and found that my development laptop requires far less storage than my home machine. Your main storage will be your app repository, and even some of the largest ones Ive worked on with 14 devs were smaller than 10GB and don't grow fast (if they are bigger they should probably be pruned or truncated for age). I don't typically keep original or draft mocks or art on my machine, they are all on cloud servers, so the only assets on my machine are the iOS optimized ones in my repo.

The one difference is 3D games. I developed a 3D game and VR experience with Unity for iOS and managed a lot of the original 3d assets, that was pretty huge.

Add a Comment

Hi there! I have old MacBook Pro Mid 2012 13", with 16Gb RAM, and Intel Core i5 2,5GHz. Operation System is Catalina 10.15.7. Could Xcode 13 install into my system, or I should buy something newer laptop for this? The question is which devices will supported for installing Xcode 13 for development. Thanks.