beta 2 UIDocumentBrowserViewController is broken

Since feedback assitant does not allow bug reports in beta-2, I'll drop this here.

Howdy, I just installed Xcode 11 beta 2, and ran my slightly modified version of the UIDocumentBrowserViewController-based template app, which was working the last time I tried it. However, in Xcode 11 beta 2, in the iPad simulator, it no longer works. I have another app which uses the same template, but had been modified to click the checkbox and run for Mac, and it has the same trouble.

Here are the error logs

[DocumentManager] Failed to get the remote browser View Controller with error (Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "connection on anonymousListener or serviceListener from pid ####" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=connection on anonymousListener or serviceListener from pid ####})

[DocumentManager] Remote view controller crashed with error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "connection on anonymousListener or serviceListener from pid ####" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=connection on anonymousListener or serviceListener from pid ####}. Trying to relaunch.

Where #### is a pid which changes on each attempt (obviously).

These error messages show up a few times in the logs, and then:

[DocumentManager] The UIDocumentBrowserViewController view service crashed for too many times in a row.

A search on the web indicates these are normally XPC related, and since the doc browser is "out of process" (I assume), I suspect that's the connection.

When I re-open my projects in beta 1 and run in the beta 2 simulator, I get the same error. However, when I run in the beta 1 simulator, they work correctly.

Replies

I say it works in beta 1, but I guess I mean "it draws, and does not log these errors to the console".

Now, when I tap the + button, my callback to didRequestDocumentCreationWithHandler is no longer called, and it was getting called yesterday, before the update of the system to beta 2.

Any luck working around this? I am seeing the same thing under beta 2

No, and due to this https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/118430), I likely won't be pursuing a solution. If however, you know the answer to the other issue, I might start look again. However, I suspect we'll just have to wait till a new beta comes out.</p></body>

In beta 3, I no longer get the xpc-like failures, however, importing a document always fails, which means I cannot create or import a document into a document-based app, which generally means doc-based ios app development is dead in its tracks for ios 13. HOwever, running exactly the same code in UIKitForMac is working for me. Even with Apple's sample "Particles" document-based app. However, running the same sample project in Xcode 10 (even on catalina) in the ios 12 simualtor works fine.

I did find docs for the other issue (which of course do not function correctly), so I'll continue pursuing this.

Does UIDocumentBrowserViewController works on the simulators for the latest Xcode 11 (mac App Store)? I can't open any file