iOS 13 beta 2 personal VPN doesn't work anymore

Just updated to iOS 13 beta 2.

I have an IPSec VPN server running on Ubuntu. It is hosted on a web service platform.

After updating, the VPN can still connect, but it does not make anymore connections (I can't load anything). This is confirmed to be related to this beta as I updated 1 iPhone, 1 iPad, and 1 Mac, and the same VPN configuration that were working before all stopped working.

Tested the exact same configuration 1 minute ago with my iOS 12 stable device, it does connect and will load webpages, so definitely not my server's problem.

Anyone else have this problem?

Let me know any information about my VPN server is wanted. Thanks

Replies

Try doing a full tunnel if you have the option to do so. Most tunnels will default to a split tunnel to speed up connection, but this causes problems sometime. If full tunnel is possible that means everything is routed through the vpn instead of only routing part of ongoing connection packets.

I have a similar issue.

I have an IKEv2 VPN mobileconfig profile that works great on iOS 12.

Here's the kicker.

If you upgrade the iPad from iOS12 to iOS 13, the VPN still works.

If you start fresh with iPad, and reimport the mobileconfig, the VPN WONT connect.

Looking at the server end.....

2019-06-25 08:33:27 iked (x.x.x.x<->y.y.y.y)Dropped IKEv2 IKE_AUTH message from y.y.y.y:35444. Reason=payload(IDi)'s size is smaller than the minimal value(8 < 10) msg_id="021A-0001" Debug

2019-06-25 08:33:27 iked (x.x.x.x<->y.y.y.y)drop the received IKEv2 message from y.y.y.y:39444 - reason="payload(IDi)'s size is smaller than the minimal value(8 < 10)" Debug

Also seeing this issue on iOS 13 Public Beta 2, including identical log messages on our VPN appliance.

Have filed a report on Feedback app.

Hi there,

there are some new guidelines for iOS 13 - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210176

could you use openssl to show me your gateway certificate - redact if you like but the things I am looking for is a SAN

use command openssl x509 -in certificate.crt -text -noout

where certificate.crt is path to your certificate for vpn gateway

For me no IKEv2 tunnels are stable on iOS 13 BETA1-4. Have to revert to IPSec (IKEv1) for it to be anywhere near usable. Works perfect with IKEv2 on the iOS 12.4 BETA’s. Have filled a bug report but even after 4 weeks it’s still just open.