iPadOS 13.0 showing up as macOS 10.15??

I have upgraded (restored) to the latest iPadOS 13.0 beta on my iPadPro 9.7. As part of my company's security policy, we have to install MobileIron and a number of certificates to gain access to email/calendar info. Everything seems fine during the first phase of the profile download and installation. However, when I tried to launch MobileIron again, I would get an "Unable to Reach Server Error". When I go into My Devices ==> Info in MobileIron, it shows the OS version on the iPad is now macOS 10.15!?!...

Any idea why this would be the case? Is this what's preventing my iPadPro to "Connect to the Server" as it shows the wrong version of the OS? On my iPhoneX, the OS version shows iOS 12.3 on the same screen.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

George

Replies

Hi Georges,
I'm facing the very same situation but with an iPad pro 10.5.
First steps of enrollment are ok but as the device is seen as a Mac and I don't have any configuration/policies for Mac, the procedure stops.

No more communication with MobileIron.
I found the explanation in MobileIron portal:

Details

"The User Agent String provided by Safari on iPadOS13 devices is the same as the string provided by macOS, causing Core to see the devices as Macs. DEP devices are not impacted by this, and are recognized as iPads"

Solution

MobileIron engineering is currently investigating solutions to this issue in supported Core versions. This article will be updated when new information is available.

So far, no solution to this problem.
Philippe

I ran into the same issue. My work around was to restore my iPad Pro 11 inch back to iOS 12. Then I loaded and configured the iPad with MobileIron, all the certificates, and ensured all my apps (Office, etc.) worked as expected with our corporate systems. Then I upgraded to iOS 13, and all the applications connected to corporate systems worked as expected. I had to reload my apps, as I did not restore from a backup. I keep all my data in the cloud, so no data loss, and the start up as a new device allowed me to do summer cleaning on my apps and only install the ones I really needed now.

Hi all

I had a similar issue on my iPad Pro and my company's Mobile Iron. As others have mentioned because it appears as a Mac OS device rather than iOS, there may not be a profile/provision set up for this and it basically leads to cannot connect to server issue.

I have found a solution which worked for me but may not work for everyone but it beats downgrading especially as I was a bit overconfident in upgrading to the beta on my work device without creating a backup! (and I'm too cheap to pay for Dropbox again just to add the iPad in after a rollback/restore).

Solution:

1. Remove profiles/unenrol from MobileIron/etc - I asked our IT team at work to do this through the MobileIron admin console but presumably as long as your device is removed entirely then it should be fine.

2. In Safari settings on the iPad, disable Request Desktop Website for All Websites (Settings > Safari > Request Desktop Website On > All Websites: Disabled)

3. Then go through the normal enrolment process through Safari for your company.

We found that in doing this, Safari reports itself as an iPad/mobile browser again rather than Mac Safari, and since then iPad OS Beta works pretty well (for a Beta) except for some reason, our company's App Store doesn't let me download the Cisco AnyConnect VPN software (but this was easily remedied since I could download it myself from App Store and it was automatically provisioned with our company's VPN profile).

Obviously this won't fix the Beta flaws (plenty of graphical/UI glitches) and any company specific applications may need updating, but on the whole it works!

I haven't yet tried re-enabling Request Desktop Website by default out of fear it could bring it all down... but let's see.