Still no Catalina Install with 2nd Beta

I was unable to install the original Catalina installation on my MBP 2018 15" - 2nd beta arrived today and still same result. Installs on blank volume, then when booting freezes about 80% through the boot, screen goes black. Repeated boots fail similarly. Any help out there?

Accepted Reply

How did you resolve this issue?

Replies

Well, all I can think of is that you say you're installing on a blank volume, which would not have a pre-existing user account, etc. Sometimes a new system like that will sit awhile and think before it presents you with the dialog to set all that up. I don't know how long you're waiting before giving up, but I assume you're being patient.

Also, repeated blackouts would be normal during installation. Do you know you're in fact "booting", and not still in the middle of that?

One thing to try might be to install Mojave first, to create your user account, iCloud stuff, etc., then put Catalina on top of that.

Thanks for those tips. I have been very patient. I think it is in the second phase of installation, but the "frozen" screen simply does not respond on its own (have waited overnight). It requires me to touch a key to reignite. Then it goes to about 80% again and then goes blank. With the first beta, I tried installing mojave first. Still no luck.

How did you resolve this issue?

This is still unresolved.