Unable to create preboot volume for APFS during macOS 10.15 beta installation

I am trying to install macOS 10.15 beta and get the following error: Could not create preboot volume for APFS install. How do I solve this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

Same issue. No answer either.

Go to your drive and ensure that its partition is APFS. If you don't see that option, select "view all drives" from disk utility and you should see to "sections" for your hard drive. Select the first and ensure its formatted APFS

Thanks for your suggestion. The partition is APFS. I did a Google search for the error "Could not create a Preboot Volume for APFS install" and found this solution https://www.fonepaw.com/upgrade/could-not-create-a-preboot-volume-for-apfs-install.html However, I would like to avoid this drastical appraoch as it involes a deletion of my volume. Any suggestions for an alternative?

On Catalina beta 2, I just ran the installer again and it worked.

Thanks for the feedback! Great - however, I tried the same - still does not work. I get the same error massage again.

Same issue here. all AFPS formatted.

I was getting this, and the only real suggestion that I saw anywhere else was to completely wipe my primary drive and start over again from scratch...no way was I doing that. I tried....maybe 5x before I got irritated and started doing random stuff, before it decided that it wanted to install.

I did unmount any external drives I had hooked up, and I did note that i had a runaway Time Machine backup running that didn't stop after I unplugged my backup volume, I wound up having to kill backupd manually.

After ALL of that, when I'd just about given up hope, I tried again...and voila, away it went.

I think you hit on something as I was having the same install problem. Then I unmounted external drives (as you suggested) and the beta 2 install went without a hitch. Thanks

Thanks for sharing your experiance and the suggestion. I tried the same, but get still the error massagr.

The running TimevMachine Backup was causing it for me.

I had this same issue, did a disk repair on both partitions, then the install ran to completion.

However, the drive is very unstable overall. I have a 2016 Maxed out MacBookPro with 2TB SSD (with touchbar). I have nothing but performance and drive issues.

As just.do.it said, we have to stop Time Machine Backuping while Beta Installation. In my case, just stopped current backuping, and turned off Automatically backup, then I succeeded to continue.

Same. Has anyone solved this issue?

+1 for "Stop Time Machine backups, unmount external drives, and try install immediately after boot." WOMM.

Got the same problem, it stops with the same message with beta3, I got a MBA with a OWC SSD inside. TimeMachine Backup is off