No network connectivity in 10.11 beta 4

The network issues present in earlier betas is back on my MacBook Pro. I uninstalled Norton which resolved the issue last time. I tried to force quit the mDNS process but it instantly restarts. On top of that, when I try to reinstall OS X, the App Store sign-in refuses to accept my password.

Accepted Reply

The cause for network issues in the earlier betas tended to be either Norton/Avast! or else something unknown that occured during manual updating from links rather than through the App Store. Looks like you may have fallen afoul of both of them.

If you still have your Yosemite partition, and feel like it's worth the bother, I'd suggest you boot into Yosemite, download the 10.11 DP1, copy over what you need from theEl Capitan partition before erasing it and reinstalling to it. Then use the App Store to upgrade through to Beta 4 again.

Replies

The cause for network issues in the earlier betas tended to be either Norton/Avast! or else something unknown that occured during manual updating from links rather than through the App Store. Looks like you may have fallen afoul of both of them.

If you still have your Yosemite partition, and feel like it's worth the bother, I'd suggest you boot into Yosemite, download the 10.11 DP1, copy over what you need from theEl Capitan partition before erasing it and reinstalling to it. Then use the App Store to upgrade through to Beta 4 again.

I don't use links for updates, I use the Mac App Store. I'm going to do the reinstallation and see what happens.

Fingers crossed 🙂

Some people prefer the links over the App Store - both have their advantages - and sometimes the links are the only option. I did notice that people with network issues that weren't caused by Norton etc. mentioned that they'd updated by link or said that they had when I enquired. Didn't mean to imply that you had though.

Oh don't worry about it. It's interesting though how the issue comes back after its fixed.

I had this happen after a core storage error on install. Had to restart the installer and then had the network connectivity issue. Flattened the SSD and reinstalled from scratch, works fine.

HOWEVER... I moved my keychain over from a backup that had been done AFTER 10.11 hosed my network connectivity. That caused the network issues to return. Removed the old keychain and it all works again. Something in the failed install hosed my keychain.

I'm just going to stay with beta 3 until beta 5 comes out. Anyone know when beta 3 expires? And how do you know when a beta expires? Is it coded in somewhere?

You'll be fine with Beta 3. None of the betas can expire until Apple release a combo update, which they haven't yet.