7 Replies
      Latest reply on Jun 13, 2019 4:44 PM by KMT
      MarkusAllen Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Can my followers install my app on their phone without getting approved by Apple?

• Re: Can I do this with my new app?
          KMT Level 9 Level 9 (14,665 points)

You mean without the -app- getting approved?

Why do you need to avoid the process?

How many followers do you have?

Quoting the ASRGs:

"The App Store is a great way to reach hundreds of millions of people around the world. If you build an app that you just want to show to family and friends, the App Store isn’t the best way to do that. Consider using Xcode to install your app on a device for free or use Ad Hoc distribution available to Apple Developer Program members."

Note that Ad-hoc profiles are only good for one year, but not beyond the dev account's period of validity.

Oops. I should have been more clear:

I have a membership site. I want only my members to use my app. I want to tap into what phones offer (picture taking, altimeter, proximity sensor, etc.) using Swift/Xcode. Only my members will use my app - I do not want to tap into Apple's "millions of people."

Can this be done without hacking?

eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (11,835 points)

I want only my members to use my app.

The standard approach here is to put your app an the App Store but require that your members log in before it does anything useful.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
                  Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
                  let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Claude31 Level 8 Level 8 (6,515 points)

I thought that was forbidden by the appstore rules ?

But effectively, that's what any bank does when they ask for your account credential.

So here, in Markus app, there could be a general section of the app, but access to some functions would require login.

>I want only my members to use my app. I do not want to tap into Apple's "millions of people."

If that means you do not want to have anything to do with the review process and the store, aka Apple's worldwide mobile ecosystem, then no, Apple does not provide a -distribution- scheme you can avail yourself of that would allow it to be just you and your members, all alone in your own little mobile bubble.

If however, you're willing to purchase a Developer Program account and build an app that satisfies both you and review, using the store as a means towards your end goal, then you're in.

In that case, the app would need to adhere to the ASRGs section Minimum Functionality - it would typically provide bifurcated features between normal users and members, tho, theoretically ignoring your "do not want" mandate, so...

Perhaps, instead of the store, a modern HTML5 website could provide all the mobile support you require, while working for both iOS and Android out of the box, greatly simplifying your efforts without any need to run any store's review gauntlet, distribution scheme, etc.

Good luck.

About this:

> Perhaps, instead of the store, a modern HTML5 website could provide all the mobile support you require, while working for both iOS and Android out of the box, greatly simplifying your efforts without any need to run any store's review gauntlet, distribution scheme, etc.

I would LOVE to make an HTML5 app from my website.

But:

Can I tap into my visitor's phone stuff - like picture taking, altimeter, proximity sensor, etc.?

> picture taking

Yes.

>altimeter

iPhone has compass and GPS, but no altimeter, per se - otherwise altitude as a metric would be rather easily derived.

> proximity sensor

Yes.

>etc.

You'd be surprised. Google is your friend for HTML5.