Is it possible to replace the back button with the swipe left gesture?

Let's say I have a view controller called VC1, and there's a button on it, when I tap on it, it brings me to another view controller called VC2. If I'm in VC2 and I wanna go back to VC1, I have to either swipe left, or tap on the back button. But I'm wondering if I can get rid of the back button, and let the swipe left gesture be the only way to go back to VC1. Is this actually possible?

Accepted Reply

Possible, yes, but not casually recommended, I think.

From the HIGs:

"Offer shortcut gestures to supplement, not replace, interface-based navigation and actions. Whenever possible, offer a simple, visible way to navigate or perform an action, even if it means an extra tap or two. Many system apps include a navigation bar that provides a clear, tappable button back to the previous screen. But users can also navigate back by swiping from the side of the screen. On iPad, people can exit to the Home screen by pressing the Home button, or by using a four-finger pinching gesture."

Otherwise, this quote off the 'net seems to sum it up... "Removing that back button that has always been at the top left since early days of iOS will significantly change the iOS user experience. So, it is just a wiser decision to keep it there because big screen phone users use both hands anyway."

Not sure of the risk factor during review, I'd worry more about negative reviews from users who might miss something they're grown accustomed to seeing as common in other apps, etc.

Perhaps if you explained your specific need/use case, someone could comment on it.

Replies

Possible, yes, but not casually recommended, I think.

From the HIGs:

"Offer shortcut gestures to supplement, not replace, interface-based navigation and actions. Whenever possible, offer a simple, visible way to navigate or perform an action, even if it means an extra tap or two. Many system apps include a navigation bar that provides a clear, tappable button back to the previous screen. But users can also navigate back by swiping from the side of the screen. On iPad, people can exit to the Home screen by pressing the Home button, or by using a four-finger pinching gesture."

Otherwise, this quote off the 'net seems to sum it up... "Removing that back button that has always been at the top left since early days of iOS will significantly change the iOS user experience. So, it is just a wiser decision to keep it there because big screen phone users use both hands anyway."

Not sure of the risk factor during review, I'd worry more about negative reviews from users who might miss something they're grown accustomed to seeing as common in other apps, etc.

Perhaps if you explained your specific need/use case, someone could comment on it.