Catalina install failure

IiMac 4.2 GHz 32 GB RAM 1 TB SSD running 10.14.6 most recent beta. When run Catalina installer it fails due to inability to establish pre boot volume for APFS. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

On my part I get: An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again. While I try to install Catalina after pushing reboot. I tried checking the date an rebooting and reinstalling several times to no effect. Moreover nothing appears in the profile pane, notwithstanding I also downloaded the beta profile for Catalina several times.

Have you made sure you have any anti virus or HDD protection disabled, (as in preventing someone from installing software, not Disk encryption).

I am getting the same issue, gets as far as wanting to rerstart and then I get the error message, very frustrating

Might be an issue with the volume file system, have you tried reformatting the drive?

NO antivirus software. No Disk protections active.

All tests say disk alright. Wondered about that. Trying to avoid reformatting volume, but that’s a reasonable step. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks.

I was running into the same issue. Delete the Installer and download it again. The installer may be corrupt.

This may not be the right place.. But I need some help. I want to try the new SwiftUI from this weeks WWDC, and I want to install the new MacOS Catalina. I want to do it on a partition or volume. I have searched online and I am a success at creating either one, but when I start the installation process the partition drive does not show up or if it does it has the warning triangle, and is not an option to install the beta.

I am using a MacBook Pro 2016.

Can someone help me? What am I doing wrong here?

What version of macOS are you currently running? What format did you select to create the volume?

I am running macOS Mojave. When I do the partition and volume i leave it at APFS, and I tried again in MacOS Extended (Secure). Neither one worked.

Thanks for the response Kean.

I can confirm this solution.

I had to activate the beta programm profile on my internal ssd of my productive environment. Then I have installed macOS Catalina on a partition of an external hard drive.

During the system set up I had a gray screen but after a restart I could go through the setup steps sucessfully. Afterwards I have removed the beta program profile from my internal ssd.

I would recommend using an external hd (now that they are so inexpensive). Running it now and works like a champ!