Version compatibility between watchOS and iOS

I assume that an Apple Watch running a particular version of watchOS can't be paired with an iPhone running any iOS version, right? Is there a table that list the compatibility between the different versions of watchOS and iOS?

My assumption have been that a particular watchOS is only compatible with the iOS version on which it's based. However, watchOS 5, for exemple, requires iOS 12 or later. Thus it will also be compatible with iOS 13. How all this work?

My other concern is with Xcode... The min deployment versions for my project was iOS 10.0 and watchOS 3.0. However, after upgrading the min deployment to iOS 11, Xcode didn't give me any warning about what in my mind does'nt make sense (iOS 11.0 with watchOS 3.0).

Replies

I installed watchOS 6 on my Apple Watch 3rd Gen. and it kept prompting me to update the software for the Apple Watch. But there was no available update. Then it randomly unpaired with my iPhone X running iOS 12, and says I need to update iOS to pair the device. I don’t want iOS 13 on my phone until the stable public release of the beta.

I asked this question numerous times on different forums in the last years and could never get a response. Is my question stupid or what?