Catalina 10.15 Desktop Issues

I have installed Catalina on a late 2017 MBP with 16Gb RAM and 512GB SSD.

The install was straightforward and as expected 32bit based applications are now not able to used.

For a first beta the OS is remarkably stable.

Only issue I am experiencing is the desktop has become functionally useless.

This results in:

1. Click or second click functionality

2. No Desktop icons; no HD et al

Has anyone experienced this issue and if so do you have a temporary work around. Finder access to the desktop and associated drives and files is completely uneffected.

Replies

Hello Markyoung0,

Could you try a restore from internet recover 10.15 is massivly buggy Apple Genius are recomending we all revert back untill public build.

Known Bugs -

Apple pay (Security flag false alam)

Applications in Application folder don't show in Lauch Pad (3rd Paty eg Chrome)

Have a 2017 21” inch imac with 8gigs mem and 1tb SSD drive. My first install was over a Mojave beta. Same results, no folders on the desktop plus numerous problems with mail and other apps freezing. I started over with an erased drive and a restore from the Internet. Folders on the desktop returned and access to cloud drive restored. Apps seem sluggish loading and mail keeps asking for my password now and then but otherwise, it’s much more stable. Clearly for now, a fresh install is the way to go. At least for me. Xcode takes forever to install and quite long to launch as well. One other problem on this imac that is not happening on my Macbook Pro is that my iPhone appears in the Finder side bar but will not display data on the iPhone allowing me to transfer files or access media. This works fine on the MacBook Pro.

anyone having problems with the screen brightnes control becoming unresponsive , a shut down and resart fixes it for a time but it returns. note this is a clean install