0. Download the appropriate Restore image for your iPad from Apple.
2. Uncheck "CDs, DVDs, and iPods"
3. Recheck "CDs, DVDs, and iPods"
4. Disconnect your iPad, if already connected.
5. Connect your iPad to your Mac.
6. Hopefully, your iPad now shows up in Finder.
7. Wait for your iPad to be backed up (if it hasn't already been).
8. Option-click the Update (possibly Check for Update) button.
9. Select the Restore image downloaded in step 0.
10. Wait, prayerfully, while the Finder does its thing.
11. If requested, enter the iPad passcode.
how long did step 10 take before you got to see something?
I'm doing it, but it doesn't look like anything happened.
Im also curious to know how long the process for step 10 took. It tooks me several hours (not sure exactly how many) to backup the phone, the restore process was pretty quick (30-40 minutes), but its now been 4 hours restoring from the backup.