Announce message with Siri not working

It seems this is a feature that has to be turned on but I cant find it anywhere.

Replies

Hey Marcelo, this feature appeared for me after connecting a pair of 2nd generation AirPods to an iPad Pro 13in running iPadOS 13 Beta 1. I don't know for certain that it's a feature limited to 2nd generation AirPods, but it's possible. After receiveing a few messages while away from the device I can confirm that it works, audio playback was faded and messages were read as you'd expect.

Where is the settings for this feature?

The settings for this feature (in Beta 1) are under General > Notifications. From there tap on "Announce Messges with Siri". You'll have the option to enable or disable the feature entirely, and also see which apps support it. For now that looks to just be Messages.

Tapping on "Messages" under the "Announce Messages From" header should give you options to enable/disable for that app, or choose between which contacts' messages will be read – Everyone, Recents, All Contacts, or just Favorites.

Thanks. Don't know why I didn't think to look under Notifications.

I thought I saw somewhere that Gen 1 should do it and thats what I have. I dont see this feature under any of my settings. I did see a message quickly pop up about it at one point but it disappeared before I can see what it said.

For some reason i do not have the option to "Announce Messages with Siri" under notifications.

It's under Notifications but I can't get it to stay ON...when I exit out of settings it turns OFF.

Does anyone happen to have this setting in Notifications with Gen 1s? I can't find an official support listing on which airpods are supported. I'm assuming only newest since I am testing with first gen.

I tried unpairing both my 1st and 2nd generation AirPods, then adding only the 1st gen to see if the Announce Messges feature appeared. It did not. I added the 2nd generation AirPods and the setting appeared immediately.

Incoming messages were read aloud through the 2nd generation AirPods only, even after the setting was enabled.

It's possible this feature is tied to the H1 chip in the 2nd generation AirPods, or just a limitation of it being an early beta. If you end up filing a bug via the Feedback Assistant let us know so we can dupe it.

https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/

I can confirm that this feature can be use with Airpods 1st Gen. I have got a pop-notification of it after I picked up my iPhone while walking and receving WhatsApp messages. But I can’t having anymore... The setting section won’t appear as well. I just think it’s a bug and it will be fixed in the 2nd Beta.

It seems that this feature is only supported on the Gen 2 Airpods and the new Power Beats Pro.

This feature is exclusive to devices with the Apple H1 chip, i.e. AirPods Gen2 and PowerBeats Pro

Doesn’t work for me with my second gen AirPods. Turned on in settings > notifications and I’ve toggled on and off. Probably still buggy!

I’ve just downloaded the Beta 4 I have AirPods 2nd Gen But when I access settings > notifications The announce messages from Siri option isn’t shown Is this still a bug?

July 29 and 30 gen 1 pods were announcing messages. July 31 I did the beta update and now no longer working with pods. Seems like a bug to me.