Completely bricked

Install the Beta on my iMac, restart, then it got stucked with the progress bar at 90% and the spinning wheel stoped.

It now can only boot in safe mode.

There is no Recovery Mode available.

There is no Internet Recovery as well.

There is no access to Startup Manager too.

All I get was a blank black screen. No Apple Logo nothing.

I even tried holding the option key for more than 15 minutes.

However, there must be something running in the background as the vent was still expelling hot air.

So now there is no way to roll back to Mojave. Tough luck I guess.

Accepted Reply

I had a similar issue.

I could log in then it stopped on the loading screen.

Reboot to safe mode by holding down the shift key while it boots. Navigate to library>extensions and move all the files in there out to another location.

Worked for me, now the machine feels very snappy.

Replies

The same with me! Hey Apple, I think you should pull out the plug of this beta!

Same for me

Same here on Macbook pro.

Well this is odd, I still had access to recovery mode, so I was able to restore my mac through a time machine backup. You might need to do a hard shutdown a few times as I couldn't load into recovery mode the first time I shut my macbook pro off after getting the frozen spinning wheel.

Yeah, I've tried all kinds of soft and hard shutdown.

Unplug power cord. Press power button with power cord unplugged.

I have also tried reseting:

SMC

PRAM

NVRAM

using all kinds of combinations permutation sequences before, during, after chimes.

Result: Nada.

One man day wasted on troubleshooting something that should not exist in the first place.

I had a similar issue.

I could log in then it stopped on the loading screen.

Reboot to safe mode by holding down the shift key while it boots. Navigate to library>extensions and move all the files in there out to another location.

Worked for me, now the machine feels very snappy.

Have you tried contacting Apple Support? Might as well if you’ve tried everything else.

It worked !

Thanks.

Is it safe to remove all the extensions ? Some softs require them ?

Worked for me also! should a put any extensions back? right now extensions folder is empty.

At least your machines still turn on. My mini won't even turn on. 😢

THAT WORKS!!!!!!! <3

how do you manage to enter safe mode? in my case when i press and hold shift it only opens "password reset" screen, not the safe mode itself

Worked. Thanks

Are you saying that it works fine on safe mode or by relocating the extensions, you can boot regularly?

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I have an Aura Pro SSD installed in my MacBook Pro 2014 ... I remember having a problem last year upgrading to Mojave where the installer said I could not install Mojave on my mac. I had to update the driver I believe and that fixed that issue. I'm not running into that problem for Catalina, but I can't rule out that my third-party drive may be part of the issue.

I had installation problems as well installing over 10.14. After the first reboot of the 10.15 install the screen went black and the MBP would not come back up. So I restarted and went into recovery and just installed a clean copy of 10.15.