iPad not showing up in finder? also configurator error

So I'm trying to get iPadOS 13 working on an Ipad Air 2. After updating to Catalina I did initially see it on the finder side. But when I clicked on it, it just hangs. So I rebooted. I can see it and access it in Apple configurator 2, but don't see it on my finder window anymore.

So I figured I'd try to restore it via configurator. Well option-restore doesn't seem to work there. So I just dragged the bundle file ontop of my ipad image and got and error, "iOS cannot be restored on Ipad, failed to unzip the restore bundel [come.apple.MobileDevice.MobileRestore -oxFB5 (4021).

Anyone else expereincing this?

Replies

I also have this problem. After trying all day to install ios 13, I tried on macos 10.15. When I click on my device in finder all I get is a black screen after a brief flash of the device info. I am struggling to find a way to install ios 13. Any guidance would be appreciated

I too am having problems installing iPadOS Beta on my 2019 Ipad pro. I have updated my Macbook to 10.15 but I dont even see my iPad Pro in the finder at all. Any suggestions?

Silly question but have you trusted the device / unlocked it when connecting, or tried a different cable.

Also check that locations in Finder are enabled, specifically for "CDS, DVDs and iPods."

Finder > Prefrences > Sidebar > CDS, DVDs and iPods

I'm having the same issue, both my iPhone and iPad.

I have those options selected too.

I also get that configurator error

Same problem w iPads, iPhones, and Apple TV not showing in Catalina Finder. Can't get iPads to update to iPadOS, got the configurator unzip error w 2 different iPads.

Apparently it doesn't appear in the Finder sidebar if other apps are accessing the iPad. I shut down Xcode & Configurator and it immediately appeared in the sidebar. It's worth trying.

^ this worked for me

This is the correct answer. Makes sense, but the connected device should still be visible in Finder even if I have Configurator or XCode opened.

Different cable did it for me.
I have an old Mac mini and a new iPad Pro with a 6' USBC cable. Using a shorter USBC cable and plugging the USB cable directly into the Mac mini itself and not the keyboard did it for me. USBC has higher power capabilities and the keyboard USB port did not.
Different cable/USB port worked for me as well.