Is AppStore required to get crash reports for macOS apps?

Hello,

I'm a bit new to signed macOS app distribution and I'm trying to use the Crashes panel of Xcode Organizer.

Currently it is empty and saying that "AppName has not been uploaded to App Store Connect to receive crash logs.". I made my app crash on another device where sharing crash data with App Developers is enabled in System Preferences > Privacy.

Question is: does this mean that macOS apps distributed outside of the Mac App Store can't receive crash logs in Xcode Organizer?

I'm talking of apps distributed with "Developer ID" rather than "Mac App Store" in Organizer's "Distribute App" panel. I've read https://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/deved2cca77d but it's not clear wether only App Store apps are concerned.

Replies

It is only Mac App Store apps. Even then, you don't get all of them. I think you only get the past two weeks worth.

Thanks for the quick answer!

Following that, I want to launch beta tests of my app before the first official release with non developer users that I know. However TestFlight is not available for macOS. Is there a way to privately publish to the Mac App Store and give these users access to the prerelease app?

Or are there other simple ways to get crash reports if I distribute my app outside of the Mac App Store for these beta tests?