List available wifi network

Good afternoon,

I'm doing the development of an app whose main purpose is to make the connection to a public Wi-Fi network that requires access data for the connection. The purpose of this app is therefore to avoid users having to perform this process.

To do this, I need to show the user the Wi-Fi networks that are within their reach at a specific moment for the user to select our network and the app to carry out the authentication process.

From what I see surfing the internet, I have to use the NEHotspotHelper classes and request apple the granting of a special permit for my provisioning profile but it is not clear to me what I have to ask apple or what process I have to follow to get it.

Please, if someone has been in this situation and could tell me what steps to follow, I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies

From what I see surfing the internet, I have to use the

NEHotspotHelper
classes and request apple the granting of a special permit for my provisioning profile but it is not clear to me what I have to ask apple or what process I have to follow to get it.

Take a look the Important box at the top of the main Hotspot Helper documentation page.

To do this, I need to show the user the Wi-Fi networks that are within their reach at a specific moment for the user to select our network and the app to carry out the authentication process.

Just so we’re clear, these isn’t how hotspot helper works. Rather:

• Your hotspot helper can annotate networks as being supported by it.

• The user chooses the network via the usual means.

• The hotspot network subsystem invokes your helper to do the authentication.

It is possible for a hotspot helper to build a list of known networks as a side effect of this process, but there’s is no API that simply returns a list of nearby networks.

For more background on this, see the Hotspot Network Subsystem Programming Guide and the Technical bullet on this post.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hello,

Based on the documentation you have provided me, in order to list nearby Wi-Fi networks I would have to use the class "kNEHotspotHelperCommandTypeFilterScanList". But for this I would need permission to use NEHotspotHelper. I'm right?

First up, just to be clear, any use of the

NEHotspotHelper
class requires the
com.apple.developer.networking.HotspotHelper
entitlement, which is a special entitlement granted by Apple.

Secondly, you wrote:

Based on the documentation you have provided me, in order to list nearby Wi-Fi networks I would have to use the class

kNEHotspotHelperCommandTypeFilterScanList

It is true that scan result are passed through your hotspot helper via the

kNEHotspotHelperCommandTypeFilterScanList
command. However, that is not a reliable way to build a list of nearby Wi-Fi networks. Read the Technical bullet on the post I referenced for an explanation as to why.

The hotspot helper API does not work the way you want it to work, and if you go into this effort assuming that it does, you will be disappointed.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Thanks for your time.

Although I wonder if it is possible to get a real-time listing of wifi networks in my app without directing the user to adjustments.

Although I wonder if it is possible to get a real-time listing of wifi networks in my app without directing the user to adjustments.

It is not.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Good evening.
Is there any changes on this mather?

"Although I wonder if it is possible to get a real-time listing of wifi networks in my app without directing the user to adjustments".