1. Create a brand-new project using the "Master Detail" template
2. Edit the detail controller to add something - anything - to the navigationItem, e.g. a segmented control or a label to navigationItem.titleView. Or add buttons. Doesn't matter.
3. Run the project on an iPad
4. Bring in another app using the multitasking gestures; dock the app on the side (left or right).
5. Slide the divider to change the size of the two apps. Make the UISVC collapse; then make it expand.
6. Notice when expanding, the navigationItem from the Detail controller is gone. Poof!
The expection is that the navigation bar and its items remains constant.
Retrieving data ...