iOS PWA Safari cannot open the page?

If I do the following on my iPad Pro 11 inch:

1. Turn off Wifi and turn on airplane mode
  2. Open our iOS PWA

It says “Safari cannot open the page “http://www.example.com” because your iPad is not connected to the internet.”

1. If I then turn on Wifi and turn off airplane mode, it still has the same message.
  2. If I force-close the iOS app and open it again it still has the same message.
  3. If I delete the PWA and reinstall it then the message goes away.
  4. Or if I shut down the iPad and restart it, the message goes away.

I don’t have any PWA service workers and haven’t really looked into what they are and what is needed. Do I need to have one to eliminate the behaviour described? And if so, what should it be?

Accepted Reply

Hey Mark,

We are experiencing the same issue at the moment, the only work arounds I've found so far are:

Workaround 1

1. Go to ‘Settings’ on the iPad
  2. Scroll down and click on ‘Safari’ on the left pane
  3. Scroll down and click on ‘Advanced’ on the right pane
  4. Click on ‘Website Data’
  5. Click on ‘Remove All Website Data’

Workaround 2

Completely power off the iPad and power it back on.

Workaround 3

1. Press and hold the power button until the ‘slide to power off’ slider appears.
  2. Press and hold the home button until the ‘slide to power off’ slider disappears.

Replies

Hey Mark,

We are experiencing the same issue at the moment, the only work arounds I've found so far are:

Workaround 1

1. Go to ‘Settings’ on the iPad
  2. Scroll down and click on ‘Safari’ on the left pane
  3. Scroll down and click on ‘Advanced’ on the right pane
  4. Click on ‘Website Data’
  5. Click on ‘Remove All Website Data’

Workaround 2

Completely power off the iPad and power it back on.

Workaround 3

1. Press and hold the power button until the ‘slide to power off’ slider appears.
  2. Press and hold the home button until the ‘slide to power off’ slider disappears.

I'm from Auckland too. Maybe it's an iOS local setting thing. I couldn't do 3) as the iPad doesn't have a Home button.