We are experiencing the same issue at the moment, the only work arounds I've found so far are:
- Go to ‘Settings’ on the iPad
- Scroll down and click on ‘Safari’ on the left pane
- Scroll down and click on ‘Advanced’ on the right pane
- Click on ‘Website Data’
- Click on ‘Remove All Website Data’
- Completely power off the iPad and power it back on.
- Press and hold the power button until the ‘slide to power off’ slider appears.
- Press and hold the home button until the ‘slide to power off’ slider disappears.
I'm from Auckland too. Maybe it's an iOS local setting thing. I couldn't do 3) as the iPad doesn't have a Home button.