iOS deployment, invalid entitlements

Hello

Consider the following sequence of events:

Developer 1 takes package A.ipa, resigns it with his own certificate yielding B.ipa.

Developer 2 takes package B.ipa, resigns it with his own certificate yielding C.ipa.

Both certificates are developer certificates and the embedded provisioning profile is

a developer profile.

If Developer 1 or Developer 2 attempt to install B.ipa using their local Mac and iOS device,

it fails with 'invalid entitlements'. If Developer 2 attempts to install C.ipa it succeeds.

When I print the entitlements using 'codesign -d --entitlements - Payload/***.app' the

results are identical.

When I diff the provisioning profiles Payload/embedded.mobileprovision in both packages

the results are identical.

When I print the signature info using 'codesign -dv --verbose=4 Payload/***.app' in both

packages I see that the 'Authority' shows the correct certificate name. Comparing the

name with the information shown using 'Quick look' on the embedded provisioning profile

shows that both certificates are included in the profile.

To summarize: we have two ipa's with identical entitlements and identical profiles, both

signed with certificates that are included in the profile, and one ipa fails to install and the

other doesn't. The error message 'invalid entitlements' doesn't even remotely make sense

in this context. Does anyone have an explanation what exactly could have happened here?

The only difference I see between the two ipa's is the certificate that was used to sign.

Replies

We have been able to solve the problem by removing a specific key from the entitlements file we use for resigning (aps-environment). It is still a mystery to us why we got different results with different certificates. Code signing is way too painful than it should be and the unspecific error messages don't help either.