Connecting iOS to MacOS via Audio MIDI Setup & Sending MIDI

Hi! I am trying to develop an application that uses Core MIDI to instantiate a connection to my Macbook via Audio MIDI Setup. I have created a client within my application and that shows up under the directory in Audio MIDI Setup on my macbook. Now I am stuck trying to figure out how to send MIDI from my app to my computer. I have tried MIDISend, and using CreateOutputPort. Both are successful in the sense that I don't get zeros when printing to the console, but nothing changes in the DAW when I set the controller and number values to the exact numbers I created in my app.

I have a feeling that I am missing a network connection within my app somehow so that it recognizes my computer as a source, but I have not yet found an effective method to do this.

Any information as to how I get midi to send from my app to my DAW on my computer would be greatly appreciated!

I am trying to make this for my final project in one of my coding classes.

Thanks!

-GH

Replies

>have a feeling that I am missing a network connection

Did your process include adding your iOS device via Audio MIDI Setup?

Try this if not...

1. Attach your iOS device via Lightning cable (direct, not thru a hub, drive, etc.)
  2. Run Audio MIDI Setup (/Applications/Utilities), then use the menu Window > Show iOS Device Browser

Audio Devices. Select/enable your iOS device on the left.

Open Preferences → Audio, then choose the IOS device as an audio input device

Also see: https://support.apple.com/guide/audio-midi-setup/set-up-midi-devices-ams875bae1e0/mac

"Show iOS Device Browser" is this still feature with Audio MIDI Setup, as it's not an option for me?