GKNoise.rotate(by:) & .scale(by:) don't do anything.

I wrote a small playground to play around with noise generation. It is attached below.

When I undestand the system correctly, GKNoise contains a 3D environment based on the chosen GKNoiseSource.

Therefore GKNoise contains transforming functions to move, rotate and scale the environment.

But no matter what I insert in .scale(by:) or .rotate(by:), the output doesn't change. .move(by:) works though.

I tried with different NoiseSources, but the result is the same.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

import PlaygroundSupport
import SpriteKit
import GameplayKit

let billow = GKBillowNoiseSource()
billow.frequency = 4.0
billow.octaveCount = 15
billow.persistence = 0.5
billow.lacunarity = 2.0

let cylinder = GKCylindersNoiseSource()
cylinder.frequency = 2

let perlin = GKPerlinNoiseSource()
perlin.frequency = 4.0
perlin.octaveCount = 15
perlin.persistence = 0.5
perlin.lacunarity = 2.0

let checkerboard = GKCheckerboardNoiseSource(squareSize: 0.1)

let noise = GKNoise(checkerboard)

noise.rotate(by: vector_double3(0, .pi/3, .pi/3))
noise.move(by: vector_double3(0,0.5,0))
noise.scale(by: vector_double3(0.5,0.5,0.5))

let sampleCount = vector_int2(200, 200)
let noiseMap = GKNoiseMap(noise, size: vector_double2(1, 1), origin: .zero, sampleCount: sampleCount, seamless: true)

let spriteNode = SKSpriteNode(texture: SKTexture(noiseMap: noiseMap), color: .white, size: CGSize(width: 500, height: 500))

Replies

Hi,

Did you end up finding a solution to this issue of the geometric transforms of the noise field not taking effect (except for move(by:))?

I'm seeing the same behaviour, tested across playgrounds, a compiled app, and both iOS and macOS and wondered if you'd managed to learn any more about it? Coincidentally I was testing almost the exact same way as you were (basically I'm only trying to rotate checkerboard noise, which otherwise renders fine but simply with no rotation).

I have noticed that the applyTurbulence() method and the displaceWithNoises() method don't seem to do anything either, even on the simplest noise system setups. It seems like .move(by:) is the only thing that works!

Anyway, let me know if you'd managed to find a solution or a workaround? Or maybe it really is a bug!

Thanks