No GPU frame capture available since Xcode 10.2

Hello everybody,

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here or if this is a new Xcode bug. Before Xcode 10.2 I was able to capture a GPU frame and to debug within the shaders - and this feature was so really helpful for me. Since I updated to 10.2 and now 10.2.1 debugging is impossible, the GPU capture button is disabled and the tooltip shows some kind of error (failed to connect to device 260). I was debugging over WLAN but even using a cable did not help yet. In the past the Debug navigator did also show a GPU summary - enough to see the frame rate and the used energy from the GPU. But now every aspect of GPU is no longer available.

Unfortunately, I could not find any hint how to enable it again or which other requirements are to be met. The run options in the scheme for debugging on my iPad enabled GPU frame capture "Automatically enabled", the Metal API Validation and under Diagnostics everything is unchecked (but this should not have something to do with GPU capturing or at least is not documented - or at least not well-known).

Does it work for you? Or does anybody know what to do to enable it again?

Best regards,

Jürgen

Replies

I ran into this same issue so I updated iOS to 12.3.1 and restarted xcode and was able to use the Metal debugger again. Not sure which of these fixed the issue.