Audiotoolbox API AudioConvertNewSpecific returning wrong output packet size when converting to G711u instead of AAC in Objective C

I am trying to convert the RAW PCM buffers to G711u Codec in IOS using Audio Toolbox. I see many code examples working for the AAC codec using the same code and APIs.But when I try to do it for PCMU then it is not working. AudioConverter is setup with no errors but when I try to query the output packet size in AudioConverterGetProperty then it returns value of 2 which seems wrong to me because when I use same code for AAC codec then it returns output packet size of 600. Below here I paste my code and thanks in advance to help me out in this .

=====Source Code ===========

OSStatus result = 0;

AudioStreamBasicDescription in = {0}, out = {0};

in.mSampleRate = frequencyInHz;

in.mChannelsPerFrame = channelCount;

in.mBitsPerChannel = 16;

in.mFormatFlags = kAudioFormatFlagIsSignedInteger | kAudioFormatFlagsNativeEndian | kAudioFormatFlagIsPacked;

in.mFormatID = kAudioFormatLinearPCM;

in.mFramesPerPacket = 1;

in.mBytesPerFrame = in.mBitsPerChannel * in.mChannelsPerFrame / 8;

in.mBytesPerPacket = in.mFramesPerPacket*in.mBytesPerFrame;

m_in = in;

out.mFormatID = kAudioFormatULaw;

out.mFormatFlags = 0;

out.mFramesPerPacket = kSamplesPerFrame;

out.mSampleRate = frequencyInHz;

out.mChannelsPerFrame = channelCount;

m_out = out;

UInt32 outputBitrate = bitrate;

UInt32 propSize = sizeof(outputBitrate);

UInt32 outputPacketSize = 1024;

const OSType subtype = kAudioFormatULaw;

AudioClassDescription requestedCodecs[2] = {

{

kAudioEncoderComponentType,

subtype,

kAppleSoftwareAudioCodecManufacturer

},

{

kAudioEncoderComponentType,

subtype,

kAppleHardwareAudioCodecManufacturer

}

};

result = AudioConverterNewSpecific(&in, &out, 2, requestedCodecs, &m_audioConverter);

if(result !=0) {

DLog("Error AudioConverterNewSpecific %x \n", (int)result);

}

result = AudioConverterSetProperty(m_audioConverter, kAudioConverterEncodeBitRate, propSize, &outputBitrate);

if(result !=0) {

DLog("Error AudioConverterSetProperty %x \n", (int)result);

}

result = AudioConverterGetProperty(m_audioConverter, kAudioConverterPropertyMaximumOutputPacketSize, &propSize, &outputPacketSize);

if(result !=0) {

DLog("Error AudioConverterGetProperty %x \n", (int)result);

}

DLog("The output packet size is %x \n", (int)outputPacketSize);

======Output============

Error AudioConverterSetProperty 70726f70

The output packet size is 2

The problem is that the output packet size is returned to 2 and when I try to use the encoder then it gives me the output in 2 bytes for each call. I think we are not receiving the correct output packet size . How to correct it?

Replies

I am still stuck at this. Has anybody ever tried this? Or does AudioConverterNewSpecific API not work with any other codec than AAC specially does it not work with G.711 codecs?

It is well documented in AudioToolBox SDK documentation that AudioConverterNewSpecific do support the RAW PCM to be converted to G.711 codecs but when I tried it does not work as in above post.

Thanks in advance.