7 Replies
      Latest reply on Dec 4, 2019 8:33 AM by ggruen
      slaurent Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello,

according to https://help.apple.com/app-store-connect/#/devd274dd925 screenshots are required for both iPad Pro 12.9" 2nd and 3rd generations. Both are 2048 x 2732 pixels (portrait) and 2732 x 2048 pixels (landscape).

So, what's the catch? why do we need to provide 2 sets of images for the same size?

Sylvain

• Re: iPad Pro 12.9" screenshots: 2nd gen vs 3rd gen?
          KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,305 points)

The 3.19 requirements are mentioned in this spec: https://help.apple.com/itc/appsspec/en.lproj/static.html

"If your app is the same across multiple device sizes and localizations, provide just the highest resolution screenshot set for each device type. For iPad, screenshots for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation) are required. Screenshots for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro (3rd generation) are optional and also display with rounded corners. These screenshots will scale down for the 11-inch iPad Pro, but not for older iPad devices.

To view the up-to-date screenshot size requirements, click this link: Screenshot specifications."

Claude31 Level 8 Level 8 (7,315 points)

I get a problem with this requirement:

For iPad, screenshots for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation) are required. Screenshots for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro (3rd generation) are optional

I only find simulator for iPad 3G, no more for iPad 2G. Don't find either on "Download simulators…"

How is it possible to get the required 2G screenshots ?

Did the requirement change recently ?

I had to find a workaround:

- use XCode 10.2

- use older version of code compatible

- generate for iPad 2G

Not ideal…

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,305 points)

>I get a problem with this requirement:

"For iPad, screenshots for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation) are required. Screenshots for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro (3rd generation) are optional."

Note that doc/quote is no longer linked, so feel free to ignore, leavng us w/the current list of requirements and what it says about 2 & 3 gens "required only when supported".

My assumption is that document needs changes as well, in order to catch up w/the latest tools/process*, so with the absence of a 2 gen sim, and since both 2 gen and 3 gen use the same aspect ratio and resolution, there would be no 2 gen specific screenshot call out during submittal now.

Unless the backend insists on them, I'd submit juat gen 3 screenshots and see what happens.

Apple released a note back in March that included this quote:

"Starting March 27, 2019, all new apps and app updates for iPhone or iPad, including universal apps, must be built with the iOS 12.1 SDK or later and support iPhone XS Max or the 12.9-inch iPad Pro (3rd generation). Screenshots for these devices will also be required."

Keep in mind now that the iPhone XS Max screenshot fills in mechanically for lesser/other devices which leads my assumption about iPad 3 gen. Apple seems to be trying to reduce the number of 'required' screenshots, something that has been needed for some time, I think.

somegeekintn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The new iPad Pro has safe areas to account for the rounded corners and home indicator which means your app may layout bit different depending on how you account for those safe areas.

cado82 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

So if I have device images in my screenshots, do I need to provide one set of images with the 2nd gen device and one set with the 3rd gen? Because I can't seem to find device images for the 2nd generation, only 3rd generation here https://developer.apple.com/app-store/marketing/guidelines/#section-products

ggruen Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

To answer the original question: Yes, screenshots for both "iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation)" and "iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation)" are required.

Xcode 11 by default only includes a simulator for "iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation)", but you can install a simulator for "iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation)":

• Open Xcode
                    • Window > Devices and Simulators
                    • Select Simulators tab. The list of your current siumulators should appear in the the left sidebar of the window.
                    • Click the "+" at the bottom of the sidebar. The "Create a new simulator" sheet should appear.
                    • Click the Device Type menu and select "iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation)"
                    • Click Create

Then you can create screenshots for the "iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation)" using your new old simulator.