Source Control Account Unavailable

Dear all,

since yesterday I noticed a strange behaviour in my Xcode (v10.2, running on a 2016 MacBook Pro with macOS 10.14.4).

I have most of my projects under source control with a local Git repository. I then create a remote to GitHub via Xcode and commit and push from the source control menu.

Since yesterday every time I committed I got asked for my username and password.

At first I thought it was something normal due to some connectivity issue but then the issue persisted and, going to Xcode Preferences > accounts I noticed that my GitHub account was greyed out and, upon selecting it (or trying to) the right side of the window showed this message:

Account Unavailable

Your account details could not be loaded because Accountname support is currently unavailable

At this point it is impossible to remove my GitHub account from Xcode in order to add it once more and it is also impossible to add any source control account, as if something with version control in general would be very broken.

I thought it an issue with my SSH key for GitHub so I went on and scrapped the old one and generated a new one.

The account stayed on "Loading" for a good minute and then the same message presented itself once more.

I really have no idea what to do here.

Could someone help me get out of this most unpleasant situation?

Thank you very much

Replies

I had the same thing today. Suddenly, randomly, after working for years, I got asked for my github password when trying to 'Push' to the github remote - even though I use SSH rather than passwords.

And when I went to preferences/accounts, my github one was grayed out, and gave the same 'Account Unavailable message as you received.

I fixed it by completely reinstalling XCode - following these steps I found on the Internet:

• Delete
    /Applications/Xcode
  • Delete all files containing
    com.apple.dt
    in
    ~/Library/Caches
  • Delete all files containing
    com.apple.dt
    in
    ~/Library/Preferences
  • Open
    App Store.app
    , download and re-install Xcode.
  • Create the Apple ID developer account

That worked fine for me - though other people have reported varying results.

I did try just deleing the caches and preferences first, before uninstalling/reinstalling XCode - but that didn't do the trick. I had to do the full re-install thing before it would work.