Interface with Emergency SOS or call 911 w/o user interaction

Hi there,

we are implementing a security app and would like to automatically call the police in certain situations.

I understand that there is no possibility to start a phone call without confirmation by the user — and with all these scammers out there, I guess that's a good idea.

We do not want to call a custom phone number, but we want to call the emergency number of the country the user is located in.

My questions are:

- Is there an API that allows us to trigger Apple's Emergency SOS (starting the same process a user would start by hitting the button 5 times)?

- Is there a special constant which I could use or add to e.g. UIApplication.shared.open("tel://911") to surpass the user confirmation?

I think that both variants would allow the implementation of very useful apps in the health and security sector.

Best,

Jan

Replies

Hi Jan, did you ever get an answer to this question? I have a similar use case and would like to trigger SOS Emergency on the phone from another device. The use case would be that the phone is in your pocket and you cannot access it, but you can trigger it separately using another device on your person (e.g. smart button, separate remote, etc.). Thank you.
I have a similar use case - I'd like to "dial" a URL rather than a phone number - is that possible?

I'd also like tag specific emergency numbers, and then based on the tag display them in a web page or app as buttons to invoke the dial. If they can't be URL's I'd arrange dialing strings to a service that authenticates the caller e.g. 555-555-1212,,,12345,,,12345

Comments?