64bit Submission Requirements

Am I wrong here or does a new project created with Xcode 10.2, not support the new requirements? Just created a new project and I see under Valid Architecture arm64, arm64e, armv7, armv7s. I thought armv7, armv7s were the 32bit architectures Apple was trying to get us off of.

Accepted Reply

Weird. This discussion had a bunch more replies a day or so ago... And I marked one as the correct answer. He's what came back that helped....

"The SDK you build with represents the newest version of the OS whose new features your app can make use of. The deployment target is the oldest version of the OS on which your app will run. They are separate settings."

And...

"Note that Xcode 10 dropped support for building 32-bit macOS apps. iOS is a different story, specifically when looking at Deployment OS. Also note that the 10.2 admonition doesn't mention 64-bit. We can submit apps that are 64-bit only, or both 64- and 32-bit, but not 32-bit only.

Xcode 10.2 (new ios single view template) allows Deployment OS at least down to 9.2 AFAIK, and, again, you can still build and upload a single app with both 32- and 64-bit support (enable 'Generate iOS universal binary file (armv7 + arm64)').

You can't build a 64-bit project if it targets an iOS version earlier than iOS 5.1. Those archs you quoted represent <iOS 11 iOS, so as long as you're using Deployment OS iOS 5.1 or higher (w/base iOS 12.x of course) & a uni binary, Xcode 10.2 will let you build for the store, not that I'd bother supporting below iOS 11.x

Remember too that building for the store isn't the only role Xcode as a tool supports."

Replies

What's your Deployment Target setting?

IIRC, iOS 10 (and earlier) runs on 32-bit ARM architecture devices. Thus apps deployed to iOS 10, even if built with the iOS 12.2 SDK, need to include support for 32-bit devices, unless, perhaps, your plist includes other more specific requirements (metal, etc.).

Weird. This discussion had a bunch more replies a day or so ago... And I marked one as the correct answer. He's what came back that helped....

"The SDK you build with represents the newest version of the OS whose new features your app can make use of. The deployment target is the oldest version of the OS on which your app will run. They are separate settings."

And...

"Note that Xcode 10 dropped support for building 32-bit macOS apps. iOS is a different story, specifically when looking at Deployment OS. Also note that the 10.2 admonition doesn't mention 64-bit. We can submit apps that are 64-bit only, or both 64- and 32-bit, but not 32-bit only.

Xcode 10.2 (new ios single view template) allows Deployment OS at least down to 9.2 AFAIK, and, again, you can still build and upload a single app with both 32- and 64-bit support (enable 'Generate iOS universal binary file (armv7 + arm64)').

You can't build a 64-bit project if it targets an iOS version earlier than iOS 5.1. Those archs you quoted represent <iOS 11 iOS, so as long as you're using Deployment OS iOS 5.1 or higher (w/base iOS 12.x of course) & a uni binary, Xcode 10.2 will let you build for the store, not that I'd bother supporting below iOS 11.x

Remember too that building for the store isn't the only role Xcode as a tool supports."