iOS 9 Beta 2 just expired - can't upgrade because Find My iPhone is on

I've installed iOS 9 Beta 2 on my iPhone 6 Plus - it just expired. I downloaded beta 3 but can't install it via iTunes. As soon as I cmd-click the "Restone iPhone..." button in iTunes it says. "Find My iPhone must be turned off before “My iPhone 6 Plus” can be restored."

However, I can't get into the phones settings to turn it off. If I go into iCloud.com and turn it off from there, it'll turn on as soon as it goes online.

Accepted Reply

There was an option to remotely erase my phone, through Find My iPhone on iCloud.com, which I used. The phone still said the beta had expired, but I was now able to opt-click the "Restone iPhone" button in iTunes. Scary, but the phone's not a brick at least!

Note to future self and all devs, pay heed to the popups that say you need to upgrade the beta OS version...

Replies

Are you able to upgrade to Beta 3 rather than restore the device via iTunes? This should bypass the Find My iPhone requirement.

- Tom

You need to use option-click on the Update button, not cmd-click on the Restore button.

You're right. But I still get the same popup asking me to turn off find my iPhone.

How do I upgrade rather than using the restore from .ipsw file from iTunes? That's how I've always done it.

There was an option to remotely erase my phone, through Find My iPhone on iCloud.com, which I used. The phone still said the beta had expired, but I was now able to opt-click the "Restone iPhone" button in iTunes. Scary, but the phone's not a brick at least!

Note to future self and all devs, pay heed to the popups that say you need to upgrade the beta OS version...

Where is the option to turn off Find My Phone via icloud.com? Experiencing same exact issues as described above. Please advise.

I had the same issue as well. Unfortunately remotly erasing my iPad from iCloud didn't work. I had to put the device in DFU mode to be able to restore it.

https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode

Exactly what happened to me. This is what I did:

1. Log into iCloud.com

2. Erase your iPhone.

3. Remove your iPhone. (Sorry 2&3 will delete all data on your phone.) This disables Find My iPhone.
4. Update iTunes to 12.2.1 (as of this post)
5. Put iPhone in DFU mode. Turn off phone. Plug to Mac. Press Power & Home 6 sec (More or less. If phone turns on, you gone too far). Idea is no screen, after 6 seconds or so release Power button. Hold Home button until phone is detected in iTunes without turning on screen.
6. If detected, Restore the iPhone. You cannot restore from an iOS9 Beta backup because it will install iOS8.4.

This did not work for me. I 'erased all data' from my iPad from 'Find my iPhone' on iCloud, then when I restart the iPad it says "Lost iPad, Please Call Me." Slide that screen to open - there is a brief 'flash' as if it's trying to open a page that isn't there, then it goes to another page that says "iOS Beta Expired" and "please perform a device restore". Meanwhile, on my Mac, I get a pop-up that says "The device [name] failed to activate. Please try again later."

When I hit option-click Restore iPhone, it tries to locate an old backup. I have a backup through iTunes (on the computer, not through iCloud), how would I go about the restore? I am restoring iPhone 5 backup and purchased an iPhone 6+ (I already disabled Find my iPhone and had the pop-up update as your described and am updated to iOS 8.4.1). My only suspicion is that I was on the latest developer update on my iPhone 5 (iOS 9)? Do I just need to update to iOS 9 in order to restore my iPhone or is there something else I'm missing here?

hi, you actually didnt need to restore via find my iphone, just put your iphone in dfu mode and connect to itunes, then rather than clicking restore, click update. it worked for me and I got to keep all of my stuff on my phone and no restore was necesary.

HI, this is how to fix your iPhone i had the exact same problem and i was practically locked out of my phone, it wanted me to pick a wifi to connect to and then it just said your beta had expired for more info go to this website https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201263

this website does solve all your problems

Didnt work. it just tries to restore to 8.4.1, which is no help when your running ios 9. Just gives me an error saying software server could not be connected. what now.. i cant get in at all!!!!!

I have this same issue. Did you resolve this. Please help.

Same issues as mine. I cant use my phone. Totally nightmare.