SiriKit - RequestAuthorization

Hello Team,

Am using the ios 12 Device and using Intents and Intents UI Framework to implement Siri shortcuts. I was following the SiriKit Documentation and as a first step am requesting user for app to access info via siri.

INpreference.requestSiriAuthorization {

//do app stuff

}

note* we enabled capabilities and also have UsageSiriDescription defined in the info.plist file

And the documentation says even if the user dont allow, he can still change his permissions in the settings app. So the issue is we are not able to see the use with siri settings to disable/enable the siri in the System/App settings. We can only see "Siri & Suggestions" and "Allow on Lock Screen" always enabled even if the user doesnt allow permission

Is it something we are missing. Please let us know about it.

Regards,

Saiteja

Accepted Reply

From the documentation for INpreference.requestauthorization, it says the user can change the permission in the setting app. Can you please let me know where I can do this.

This will appear as Settings > [Your App] > Siri & Search > Use with Siri. This option only shows up if you're using one of the SiriKit domains, such as workouts or bill pay.

Am not able to see Use with siri options in the app settings. Is it something am missing in the code to do this?

Since you stated you are using shortcuts, this is expected. There is nothing you are missing.

Is there a way we can toggle off the siri search & suggestions in App system settings programmatically from the app?

There isn't an API for this. You can file an enhancement request with your specific use case in our Bug Reporter.

Replies

Authorization is required for the SiriKit domains, but not Siri Shortcuts.

Just for understanding

1. From the documentation for INpreference.requestauthorization, it says the user can change the permission in the setting app. Can you please let me know where I can do this.
  2. Am not able to see Use with siri options in the app settings. Is it something am missing in the code to do this?
  3. Is there a way we can toggle off the siri search & suggestions in App system settings programmatically from the app?

From the documentation for INpreference.requestauthorization, it says the user can change the permission in the setting app. Can you please let me know where I can do this.

This will appear as Settings > [Your App] > Siri & Search > Use with Siri. This option only shows up if you're using one of the SiriKit domains, such as workouts or bill pay.

Am not able to see Use with siri options in the app settings. Is it something am missing in the code to do this?

Since you stated you are using shortcuts, this is expected. There is nothing you are missing.

Is there a way we can toggle off the siri search & suggestions in App system settings programmatically from the app?

There isn't an API for this. You can file an enhancement request with your specific use case in our Bug Reporter.

Do we need to request authorization for the custom intents?

You do not, as custom intents are only used for shortcuts.

Hello edford,

I actually have a folllow up question for your previous reply. So if we donot request authorization then do we still need to use "NSSiriUsageDescription" in the plist file?

Please let me know about it. Thanks

You won't need the usage description string in that scenario. You'll see that our sample code project for custom intents does not include this string.