8 Replies
      Latest reply on Sep 2, 2019 5:29 PM by hansolo625
      r.abbasi Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello all,

I work in my office and as a personal developer like to sometimes send my iOS apps for a number of my friends. I create iOS apps by QML coding and then using my Appale ID and "personal team" via Xcode on a macOS X install them on my iPhone.

Today, I wanted to archive and finally create the .ipa file of one of those apps, using Xcode -> Products -> Archive. And then whatever method of distributing I choose I get this error mesage:

Team "....(Personal Team)" is not enrolled in the Apple Developer Program.

When on developer.apple.com I sign in my account it says:

Purchase your membership.

To continue your enrollment, complete your purchase now.

And it can't apparently be canceled!

I don't sell my apps and don't work for a company/organazation either. So why should I pay money still?

Can't I freely enroll my personal team and distribute my apps between friends for testing or etc?

• Re: How to send my iSO app to friends
          KMT Level 9 Level 9 (14,695 points)

>Can't I freely enroll my personal team and distribute my apps between friends for testing or etc?

Xcode's 'free provisioning' is for a device connected to your computer and toe-dipping, while you decide if you wish to commit to an enrolled full force paid account, which includes testflight and distribution to your 'friends'.

Otherwise, there is no authorized free willy scheme that allows distribution in the wild.

Note this seems off-topic for this forum.

Do you mean that if I want to send my app to friends freely, without paying to Apple, I need to get their iPhones and one by one connect them to my mac and using Xcode install that app on them all?

If you need a refresher on the process, see this post for a previously moderated link: Xcode's Free Provisioning

Thank you, the tutorial was helpful, but I've done this already. Please read my first post (the question body) here once again.

What I want is sending the .ipa file of my own app to a number of my frieands.

For example you record your voice while singing a song. Then you send its file to some of your friends to enjoy it. It's free, isn't it?

So why should we not be able to freely send our iOS apps to other people?

In Android it's very easily can be done. After building the project, an APK file will be created in the Build folder of the project and the developer can send that file to as many people as they like. They, on the other side, download the file and simply install it on their devices. Very easy and fairly.

But apparently we need to pay to Apple, because we are not developers, althought we've written and created the program, but we're costomers in their points of view.

If it's not true and we can send our iOS apps to other people freely, please tell me the way.

Same question...same reply - there is no authorized method that supports your proposed scheme.

Feel free to contact Apple directly should you wish to discuss policy - link below.

Good luck.

hansolo625 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

"For example you record your voice while singing a song. Then you send its file to some of your friends to enjoy it. It's free, isn't it?

So why should we not be able to freely send our iOS apps to other people?"

Lol that's not how it works with Apple buddy. It's Apple's belief (also Jobs I believe) that their technology can only be controlled and modified by Apple, and Apple along. Anyone that wants to write, run, install programs on Apple's hardware must be identified and held to Apple's standard. That's why to develop in iOS you have to go through so much code-signing process to identify yourself. Through the code-sign process Apple knows who's writing what and running on what Apple devices. In a nutshell Apple is a completely closed platform completely opposite of Android. With that said, you just cannot distribute your app to your friends without registering their devices to your free account. Also, your free account gives you a very limited amount of devices that you can register. There are OTA (Over the air) ways to install apps using Ad Hoc distribution but you are still reuqired to register the device to your membership.

You may think that's ridiculous and how Android is easier etc, but there are benefits to Apple's strict believes. To top it off, this belief is exactly why Apple doesn't have virus or malware (Because malware cannot make changes to Apple's software wihtout proper signing and permission). This is how Apple works regardless if you agree or not and it's still a successful model evidently.

Best wishes.