UIDocumentBrowserViewController and “related items”

Hi folks,

I’m currently providing my own file browsing UI including thumbnails, file operations (like rename, delete, copy, move) and iCloud Drive synching in my app. With the last update I changed the deployment target to iOS 11, and I am thrilled to utilize the UIDocumentBrowserViewController ... but my app heavily relies on “related items”:

Each main file is accompanied by a second file including meta data, which has the same name, but a different extension. Currently my app defines the second file as a related item, ensuring proper file coordination. In all file operations both files are handled synchronously, e.g. renaming or deleting both files.

Is there any way to accomplish this with a UIDocumentBrowserViewController? Although I can overwrite corresponding UIDocument’s methods to read / write both files, I found no way to hook into these file operations. Unfortunately I am not in the position to define a directory file wrapper as the main file needs to remain visible and easily accessible in the file structure.

Any help - including pointers to some more detailed documentation - is appreciated. I watched the related WWDC sessions and read Apple’s documentation, but found it quite basic.

Eliminating >50% of my code and add various cloud storage providers is just too compelling. 🙂

Greetings, Mattes

Accepted Reply

Just for your information: I've decided to use extended file attributes to store the meta data which is currently reflected in the related items. Gives me some challenges for a proper migration, but is IMHO the right approach to store this kind of information ... and will harmonize with UIDocumentBrowserViewController. Unfortunately I hadn't this idea 10 years back when I started using these files.

Mattes

Replies

Just for your information: I've decided to use extended file attributes to store the meta data which is currently reflected in the related items. Gives me some challenges for a proper migration, but is IMHO the right approach to store this kind of information ... and will harmonize with UIDocumentBrowserViewController. Unfortunately I hadn't this idea 10 years back when I started using these files.

Mattes