Best format to import a model?

I'm not an expert in SceneKit or 3D modeling, but I have nevetheless been tasked to source a rigged 3D model of the human body for use in an iOS app.

I have a simple model which was provided to me in the "FBX" file format (I think this is called Filmbox?). I was able to convert this file into a "DAE" file using a tool called fbxConverterUI.app, which I downloaded from the Autodesk web site. I was then able to drag the DAE file into Xcode and convert it to a SceneKit scene.

I need to repeat this process with a more complex model, but I'm having trouble finding one in a format that I'm familiar with. The TurboSquid website offers a number of models that look like what I want, but they are typically only offered in formats such as Maya or 3DS Max. I don't have any tools for converting these files. There are some online converters, but they seem to be flaky and limited. As well, I'm told that the process of converting a 3D model often results in errors and degradations, particularly with respect to the rigging, which is critical to my project. Lastly, the "FBX" and "DAE" file formats, which are the only ones I know for sure I can use, don't seem to be very common.

What's the best type of source file to get for this kind of a project, and what's the best way to convert it to a SceneKit scene?

Are there other sites besides TurboSquid that might have models better suited to iOS?

Thanks,

Frank