Enable required two factor/step without apple device

I don't own any apple devices and don't understand how I can enable the now required two factor/step/whatever authentification. Apparently setting a trusted phone number is not enough.

I only use a mac to publish apps and for that I rent time on one. But since I don't own that device I don't want to set it as a trusted device since that would obviously make my account less secure.

How can I get access to my account without having an apple device? The support page doesn't mention it.

Replies

What happens if you have Apple devices and your house burns down and they are all destroyed? Guess you lose access to your developer account...

Should we trust someone we caznnot even spell the name ? 😁

Edit: See below.

I've got the same problem. I can't sign in to my dev. account from my Windows 10 computer running Chrome. I do that often to check Sales and Trends to see how my apps are selling. There does not appear to be a way to do that anymore. I guess whenever I want to check anything about my account I have to boot up my Mac. I do mostly Windows development and I don't really use the Mac unless I am developing an update to one of my apps. This roll-out of two-step authentication was not thought through very well.

Edit: Here's what worked for me. I booted up my Mac and tried to sign in to my dev. account using Safari. Initially I got the same message. But then I followed the directions for enabling 2-factor authentication on my Mac, which involves going to System Preferences / iCloud. I had never signed up with iCloud before , but I did it now and it was easy. Then you go to Account Details and select Security tab. If two-factor authentication has never been turned on for your account, there will be a button for "Update Security" which will guide you through turning it on. Once it is turned on, leave the Mac running and try to sign in on another non-Apple device. It will send a notification to the Mac and a verification code will pop up on the Mac screen. This verification code can be entered on the non-Apple device and then that device will be authorized to access your dev account.

I still think they should have streamlined the instructions to make this clearer as to exactly what you have to do.