Determine when user raises wrist? Apple Watch

I want to know when exactly the user of an apple watch raises his wrist to respond to a notification. Is there anyway to do this with swift? I am trying to calculate the time it takes to respond to a notification, and this seems like the most accurate representation.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

If your app were running it could sense a rotation about the Y axis of the watch (see: startDeviceMotionUpdatesUsingReferenceFrame: ).

Your problem is that the user is not running your app at all times so your app can't possibly sense the motion of the watch. You could start an HKWorkoutSession to keep your app running - but that would prevent the watch from running any other app.

Thanks for the response, I'll definitelt look into startDeviceMotionUpdatesUsingReferenceFrame.

Is there a better way to gauge reaction time on the apple watch? Perhaps whenever the app is opened, I could send a notification and wait for reaction time and then end the HKWorkoutSession to allow other apps to run. Besides that possible solution, are there any alternatives to what I'm trying to do here? Also, if there are any sample projects using startDeviceMotionUpdates, I could use those too.