where to start with bluetooth

Hello everyone!

I'm fairly new developing for iOS overall, there is a bunch of resources out there to get started.

My problem is that a customer asked to develop an iOS app to connect to its embedded devices that run Linux, using Bluetooth,

these devices have USB ports so they could use generic USB Bluetooth dongles, this is where it starts the get more difficult

There is a lot of documentation about the BT, but nothing very specific, and now I got lost in a vast wood of protocols.

The main goal is that the app can send command (or messages) to the device, or may be text files.

Is this possible using generic USB Bluetooth dongles?

Where can I look for docs, tutorials or examples of apps that use Bluetooth for sharing files of messages?

How exactly can I achieve my goal of sending messages or commands to those devices?

Thank you very much in advance to everyone

Replies

If there are sections/topics in the documentation that you need help understanding, feel free to link to them with specific questions. If this is about your lack of technical skill, perhaps you need to spend time learning those basics first in order to better understand what can be leveraged in your example.

If there are samples you would like to see to illustrate particular technologies or techniques that are not covered by existing samples, feel free to file a bug report...link is below right, every page here.

I don't believe Apple has provided a sample app in your example since Xcode 4/iOS 6. You'll need to find modern examples via 3rd parties, apparently.

Good luck.