7 Replies
      Latest reply on Sep 10, 2019 10:53 AM by Traxxtar
      daplemac Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Previously discussed in beta:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/330295

This process stops responding every day it seems, I'm running 10.14.3 (18D109)

When the process hangs, its Open Files and Ports include the following:

txt
        /Library/Preferences/Logging/.plist-cache.ZP6RP0OT
        txt
        /private/var/db/timezone/tz/2018i.1.0/icutz/icutz44l.dat
        txt
        /usr/share/icu/icudt62l.dat
        txt
        /private/var/folders/35/dgpwsg457w17gs77hssnrbnw0000gn/0/com.apple.LaunchServices-231-v2.csstore

Those are not open when the service is running (before it hangs)

Would like to know how frequently this hangs for everyone else and get steps to troubleshoot if possible.

• Re: com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice (Not Responding)
          daplemac Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I read here that XPC services are used by developers if some parts of an application are more prone to crashing than others.

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPSystemStartup/Chapters/CreatingXPCServices.html

If the service is opening the unicode / timezone files below before it hangs, maybe the problem is with the ICU (http://site.icu-project.org/home) data?

txt
          /usr/share/icu/icudt62l.dat
          txt
          /private/var/db/timezone/tz/2018i.1.0/icutz/icutz44l.dat

eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (11,845 points)

com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice is the name of an XPC service that’s internal to macOS.  If it’s hanging, that’s something that needs ot be investigated by macOS Engineering.  I recommend that you file a bug about that.  Please post your bug number, just for the record.

When you file your bug report, please do the following:

1. Reproduce the hang.

2. Make a note of the time you saw the hang (it doesn’t have to be super-precise, but within 5 seconds or so).

3. Trigger a sysdiagnose log (per the instructions on our Bug Reporting > Profiles and Logs page).

4. Attach that log to your bug report, along with the time from step 2.

You wrote:

If the service is opening the unicode / timezone files below before it hangs, maybe the problem is with the ICU … data?

That’s unlikely.  The fact that the process has the timezone file open is no indication of where it hung.  If you want to get a rough idea of where it hung, use Activity Monitor to create a spindump of the process.

IMPORTANT A spindump is not a substitute for a sysdiagnose log.  Feel free to poke around in the spindump for hints as to what’s failing, but make sure your bug report has a complete sysdiagnose log.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
            Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
            let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

george97 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

my macbook pro 2018  have the  same problem long long time ago

This problem often occurs one hour after standby.

I have called the apple service , nothing to  help me

There's nothing to do but scold Apple.  fking com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice

usually del the com.apple.LaunchServices-231-v2.csstore maybe can happy some days,

after some days,  the problem come again, nice to meet you:

com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice (Not Responding)

cyberreefguru Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same problem with my iMac pro.  I check on my older MacBook Pro and the process hangs there sometimes, but it was never a problem.  On the iMac, when it hangs it eventually causes all sorts of problems.  Most exclusively with Fusion 360 and occasionally it causes the Open/Save screen to completely lock up which takes out all the applications and finder.  I haven't been able to pin point what causes it to fail, but the only fix is rebooting and it will lock up within a few hours of me using Fusion every single time.  Hope this gets fixed at some points - it's made be very dissatisfied with my new $5000 computer.

-Tom

Traxxtar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

com.apple.hiservices stops responding constantly on my MacBook Pro. It did it on my previous 2016 MBP and now with the brand new 2019 MBP. I suspect it's related to the Microsoft Office 365 suite of apps. I have to shut it down numerous times a day, otherwise it slows down my system.

If I never open MS Outlook, the service never hangs. Go figure.