5 Replies
      Latest reply on Feb 10, 2019 4:07 AM by OOPer
      iPadawan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

Using Swift 4.2 and 5 ( jups already busy )

How can I determine the file-size of an image what I have loaded, or created, and manipulated with drawings inside an NSImage and NSImageView?

I can save the file each time to check the size, but sound silly.

Should I move that as data in (NS)Data?

Then when I know the size, is there any overhead bytes when I save the Image to disk?

Or to CloudKit?

With kind regards

• Re: In swift how to determine the final file-size from an image in NSImage or NSimageView
          Claude31 Level 8 Level 8 (6,345 points)

The file size will depend in which format you save the image.

You don't need to save again, just read the attributes of the file

if (fileManager.fileExists(atPath: fileName)) {
                      if let image = UIImage(contentsOfFile: fileName) {
                          do {
                          attr = try fileManager.attributesOfItem(atPath: fileName) as NSDictionary 
                          if let _attr = attr {
                              fileSize = _attr.fileSize() / 1024; // in KB
                              }
                          }
                          catch {       
                           print("Error fileName")
                          }
                      }
                  }

You can determine the raw byte size of the image in memory:

Read details here

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34262791/how-to-get-image-file-size-in-swift

• Re: In swift how to determine the final file-size from an image in NSImage or NSimageView
            OOPer Level 8 Level 8 (5,205 points)

Should I move that as data in (NS)Data?

Very likely. It's very hard to predict the data size of a compressed image, and I cannot find any APIs to get only the data size. Actually compressing seems to be the right and the only way.

Then when I know the size, is there any overhead bytes when I save the Image to disk?

Or to CloudKit?

I may be mistaking what you mean, but when you store a data in a file system, the file size becomes exactly the same as the data.

If you mean some extra disk space other than the image file itself, such as directory entry or i-node or something like that, it's hard to know how much would be needed.

iPadawan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you,

My overhead concern is, if the NSImage view image data part, already got/contains representation info about what kind of image type like 'PNG', 'GIF' e.t.c. it is. Or if that happens, adding this and compression ( if saved ) info, during saving time?

Today I will start reading, again, NSIMageRep and the rest of the family and try to get that better in my head.

Just pity that a lot of the documentation is at a minimum ( paid by the letter ?) or the samples are outdated or just Obj-C.

Wish they keep the samples, more up to date, and the in different versions, like Obj-C, Swift4-4.2 and now of course Swift 5.

For them it isn't to much work, but it saves a lot of misunderstanding and unwanted searching by the developers. ( did send this to radar )

OOPer Level 8 Level 8 (5,205 points)

My overhead concern is, if the NSImage view image data part, already got/contains representation info about what kind of image type like 'PNG', 'GIF' e.t.c. it is. Or if that happens, adding this and compression ( if saved ) info, during saving time?

Then you have no need to worry. The generated PNG data or GIF data, already contains such info inside the data. As I already noted, no extra space when saving data.

Today I will start reading, again, NSIMageRep and the rest of the family and try to get that better in my head.

Mac OS progamming has a long history, and many still-useful documents and samples are marked as archived and even now, no direct replacements for them are provided... I hope Apple would listen to our voices.

Anyway, if you find some difficulty on using NSImageRep or something, there are many readers who can help you in the forums.